Destin Jetties dive report 5/7/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
...I was very dissappointed in the underwater photo's I took as they all came out "green"...
Look at the background of my pics of you and Paul. The flash does not reach that far and depending on settings of aperture and shutter speed I can get the color of the water looking natural to black. The water in my pictures gets "aqua" at best. It may be that the water was more green than you remember too - I often over correct in my mind because I look at stuff up close where there is less green to see. That combined with the camera not being white balanced may add up to your dissapointment.

I thought your flash looked a little weak on some shots as you were taking them. Is there any adjustment on the flash or were the batteries fresh enough?

Yes SeaAngel I was using the external strobe. The batteries I was using were Energizer/Duracell and had never been used before, but were not recently purchased either. I've got my new 2400mAh NiMH batteries in now and they should be better.

I noticed what you were talking about with the "green" in the background in your pics, but mine are green all the way though.

As for something funny to add to this, was showing SeaYoda's pics to a co-worker. He looks at Paul and says "is that guy dead?" heh. If you look at paul his face is stone white except the area covered by his mask.

mike_s:
... If you look at paul his face is stone white except the area covered by his mask.
If you think he looks white, you should have seen a dive buddy of mine who got sick and puked underwater - talk about pale face!

mike_s:
I was very dissappointed in the underwater photo's I took as they all came out "green".
Does your camera have an aperture preferred exposure mode? If you can set the f-stop on the lens lower the flash will reach out a little further and give you a little more color.

Also if you snap pictures really fast, your flash doesn't have enough time to recharge between pictures so you don't get a full flash. I'm bad about doing that. Your new 2400 maH batteries will help there.

Probably putting the camera in "sea" mode will help too.
Luke

Welcome back SeaAngel!

There isn't much you can change as far as settings with the 310 unfortunately. I've noticed, especially with alkalines, that the recharge on the external strobes(which are preset to a point) isn't very quick, especially after a few dozen flashes.

Mike - I have pics just as green from when I was using the 310, especially with the internal strobe. You can increase the strobe output slightly, keep an eye on your strobe setting on the LCD, there are three settings(ones macro, one just indicates flash, and one is like high flash or something). You toggle between flash modes using the red button on the case. I would definately try to run a higher flash mode.

I looked at the pics you sent via email, they are very green :) but the one of the white-bellied sandfish(4th) can be fixed up a bit. I had no luck with the jelly though. That first pic was totally whack though! The pic with the Wrasse came out well(with color - I guess you were shallow). I'd try to get lower for the pics - so you aren't looking down at the subjects.

mike_s:
As for something funny to add to this, was showing SeaYoda's pics to a co-worker. He looks at Paul and says "is that guy dead?" heh. If you look at paul his face is stone white except the area covered by his mask.

I guess I shouldn't submit the pics to Henderson, Sherwood, Triple-L and Cressi-Sub (all visible on my gear) with the caption: "Good enough for a dead guy", then Huh?

paulwall:
I guess I shouldn't submit the pics to Henderson, Sherwood, Triple-L and Cressi-Sub (all visible on my gear) with the caption: "Good enough for a dead guy", then Huh?

Don't feel too bad. All the pic's I took all "sucked". So you're green in those :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom