Destin conditions in late October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Destin the last week in october and was wondering what the diving conditions (e.g., temps, vis, etc) are typically like in Destin that time of year... appreciate any info.

Also, I think I'll be staying @ Sand Destin... whats the closest and best dive shop? I've spoken to one of them and was quoted these prices: $70 for 2 tanks or $300 for 10. Seems kinda pricey.

thanks...

I use ScubaTech in Destin, their prices are average for pretty much anywhere in the northern Gulf of Mex.

Temperatures will probably be in the high 70sF by then, maybe the low 80s still. There's no predicting Gulf conditions, so I won't try. Things are generally calmer in the summer though... Don't forget the shore diving opportunities at the Destin Jetties :)

I dove last weekend on the "Sand Dollar", and he told me all the shops have gone to $70.00 for two tanks. He told me wasn't going to but I think he was trying to get our thoughts on it. He charters out of the "Scuba Shop", (Ft. Walton Beach) and "Divers Emporium", (Crestview). We had some nice dives and he is very accomodating. Most dive shops have raised prices because of the oil prices going up.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I use ScubaTech in Destin, their prices are average for pretty much anywhere in the northern Gulf of Mex.

Temperatures will probably be in the high 70sF by then, maybe the low 80s still. There's no predicting Gulf conditions, so I won't try. Things are generally calmer in the summer though... Don't forget the shore diving opportunities at the Destin Jetties :)

Ditto!
ScubaTech!!! I got my AOW cert through them years ago. It's a great outfit.

Conditions vary but I've had good luck in Oct./Nov.

Have fun.
Dana

I think they are all going to have to go up on price. So you'll see them all mostly at $70 per regular trip. The gulf coast dive shops typically get most of their business on the weekends from "drive down" divers as opposed to the Keys where they get people who dive all week.

With gas prices going up, I don't see them lowering their prices anywhere.

chester:
I will be in Destin the last week in october and was wondering what the diving conditions (e.g., temps, vis, etc) are typically like in Destin that time of year... appreciate any info.

Also, I think I'll be staying @ Sand Destin... whats the closest and best dive shop? I've spoken to one of them and was quoted these prices: $70 for 2 tanks or $300 for 10. Seems kinda pricey.

thanks...

My husband and I just left Destin. I am not familiar with the dive shop in Ft. Walton that someone posted about. While in Destin, we went to both ScubaTech and Emerald Coast Scuba and I must say, Emerald Coast won me over. They are only a few blocks away from each other so either way it is a decent drive from Sandestin. The prices for both places are the same 2 tanks boat trip (app. 4 hours) were $70. (Could have something to do with gas being around $2.70 or so there.) I am very big on customer service and Emerald Coast made us feel like family. I'm not familiar with the boats out of either place because we only did shore diving from the jetties...$7 a bottle for air was better than $70. I know who I'll be visiting next time I'm in Destin.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom