Destin area, mid-March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed to Destin, Florida, and will be there from March 12-18. I am not travelling with a dive buddy this year, so I am looking for a buddy to do some diving. Have car, can travel for diving, but have a non-diving spouse that requires I return to her before sunup. I am up for all diving except caving, as I'm not cave cert.

Also, if anyone is interested in drinks and storytelling, I game for that as well...

SS

Thanks for the headsup Mike, - I hadn't looked in the planned trips area....

Looking thru the thread, it seems divers are headed to St. Andrew's instead of the jetties for that weekend?

What and where is St. Andrew's?

Anyone wants to hit the jetties or any of the springs during the week, let me know...

SS

ScubaScott:
What and where is St. Andrew's?

It's a state park in Panama City Beach. They have jetties that everyone dives off of. Be aware that you are going to be heading down to FL during spring break.

Matt

Yep. What corigan said. It's a state park that is about an hour drive due east of Destin. Spring break will be in full force, but most of that traffic is concentrated on the beach road in Panama City. It will be a little more crowded, but most spring breakers are teenage drinkers/partiers, not divers.

You should still check with them and see when they are diving the Jetties in Destin. There are a few other people here from the Destin area also that you could hook up with.

Vortex Springs (freshwater spring feed lake) is also a popular dive spot (but others also don't find it "fascinating" either). You could always easily find a person to buddy up with there. I think it's about an hour (or maybe little more) from Destin.

Like Mike said, Vortex and Morrison are about an hour away. Cypress Springs is about that far as well, but it'll require a 15-20min canoe ride after you get to the boat launch.

I'm planning on joining everyone at St. Andrews that weekend for some jeddie dives. Panama City is ~45min from Destin normally, count on a longer drive that weekend though.

We're diving Destin jeddies on the 27th, if by some chance your stay gets extended.

I'm diving with the group on the 12th but, because I'm scheduled to work on Saturday the 19th, I will probably have a day off during that week. My day off is usually Friday - I think the Destin Jetty tides are bad that day so we might be able to do a spring dive. I'll keep you posted as we get closer and the boss makes out a schedule.

You should it's Florida Law and you could get fined. Personally I always have a dive flag when I'm at the Jetties in Florida. Sometimes just tie it off to a rock or something and stay within 50' from it.

Jeremy

SeaYoda:
I'm diving with the group on the 12th but, because I'm scheduled to work on Saturday the 19th, I will probably have a day off during that week. My day off is usually Friday - I think the Destin Jetty tides are bad that day so we might be able to do a spring dive. I'll keep you posted as we get closer and the boss makes out a schedule.

Yoda - sounds good - I'd be up for just about anything if its going to keep me out of the mall..... I'm hoping to get my wife to dive at least one of the days ( I think she wants to go back to Vortex - but I haven't been to Morrison - it was closed the last 2 years I've been in the area). Also, I want to break in my new camera setup - similar to yours - Oly 5060, PT020 - only wet in the pool so far.....

Let me know how your work schedule pans out

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom