Destin 7/20-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ScubaTech crew was great, but the sites were mediocre at best. The vis was 20-30 feet and nothing special on the marine life front. It was fun, but expensive for just getting in the water. We're going to head to Vortex tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jeff

Enjoy - I've heard about Vortex, let me know how it is. I'm diving the Oriskany tomorrow (23rd)
with Bay Breeze (up in Gulf Breeze), dove with them today at the USS Mass. (current/low viz)
and the coal barges (good dive). Am working on a report and uploading some pictures.
We're looking into diving down in PCB on Friday and with Scubatech on Sunday.

12 - 15 mph current???? Lame Dive??? Are you kidding???

It is what it is, a challenging dive and still the only carrier dive in the US or anywhere you can get to without mortgaging your house. If it's not within your comfort zone, price wise or skill wise, don't go. I have well over 1oo dives there and still find something amazing every time I go. My dive times average 35 - 40 minutes on air. Sure, conditions vary, sometimes from dive 1 to dive 2, but it's still a great dive. Come on, stop bashing the placement and dive it.

Enjoy - I've heard about Vortex, let me know how it is.

Vortex was great, very quiet. Last time I was there, there was a whole bunch of other people there and the viz was shot. This time it was crystal clear. Water was cool, but well worth it.

Be sure to check out the 4Cs BBQ at the intersection of Hwy 90, it is the BEST.

Cheers,
Jeff

I dive a lot out of both Panama City and Destin... with the understanding that weather, other boats and who is diving can effect the dive spots..over all, Destin has better diving. Assuming we are not comparing a bridge span (Panama City) versus bridge rubble (Destin).. which I think pretty much suck (although on a good day, both are interesting. Reef diving (say Amberjack or White Hill and several others) is far better out of Destin.

I notice a lot of comments about Scuba Tec not going out in bad weather...earlier this year, they went out in 4 to 6 ft seas (on a day that all the Panama City boats cancelled).. and we had people throwing up from the time we left the pass, till we got back. While I am ok with that, it sucks if you are the one doing it. While the Sea Cobra is very sea worthy...sits out of the water rather high, and tends to rock much more than some other designs.

I'm diving with them this weekend.

Pufferfish - you going out with them on Sunday AM? We are signed up for that trip.

mike_s - what time are you thinking of heading to the jetties on Saturday? We're doing a
fish charter that morning, but I'd be interested if the schedule works out.

sladerer, looks like we're not coming. got messed up with hotel reservations and going elsewhere the rates are rather high for a "prime season" hotel on the beach.

I agree with Pufferfish that the SeaCobra is high out of the water and rocks rather well. most of that's ok but their tank racks aren't the greatest if it's not "full" of tanks. meaning if there are empty spaces in the racks, then the bottoms of the tanks seem to slide around and can fall over or out of the racks. if they'd put some blocks of some sorth in the bottom of the tray on the tank rack that'd sure help that. or maybe coat it with "Rhino Liner" to give it some grip.

Pufferfish - you going out with them on Sunday AM? We are signed up for that trip.

mike_s - what time are you thinking of heading to the jetties on Saturday? We're doing a
fish charter that morning, but I'd be interested if the schedule works out.

Will see you there. Just look for the large white tanks with "Puffer" written on them and the dual strobe G10 setup.

sladerer, looks like we're not coming. got messed up with hotel reservations and going elsewhere the rates are rather high for a "prime season" hotel on the beach.

I agree with Pufferfish that the SeaCobra is high out of the water and rocks rather well. most of that's ok but their tank racks aren't the greatest if it's not "full" of tanks. meaning if there are empty spaces in the racks, then the bottoms of the tanks seem to slide around and can fall over or out of the racks. if they'd put some blocks of some sorth in the bottom of the tray on the tank rack that'd sure help that. or maybe coat it with "Rhino Liner" to give it some grip.

You are so right about that.. oddly, if you have 8 inch tanks with rubber boots (like I do), then they fit great...

Back
Top Bottom