desperate diver for Philippiness' beauty. first time diving there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giljiroza

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys, I need help! going to the Philippines from the 20th of April 2023 for a couple of weeks and looking to spend a week on a remote island and go out on day safaris for diving trips out from the island. Found a safari (recommended by someone here), but to my dismay, only one place is available. Would anyone please (and very kindly) provide contacts of diving centres offering similar packages or help me choose between the 7,000 islands available? This is possibly my only time coming to the Philippiness, and I'm desperate for some guidance!

You might want to consider using a dive travel agent like Blue Water Dive Travel or PADI Travel since the trip is soon and it seems like you're looking for a destination expert to help you decide.

looking to spend a week on a remote island
Why specifically a remote island for that week? If a destination otherwise offers what you want, how big of a concern is it being remote?

A place that's not remote might have more dive operators and thus more liking to have an opening for someone coming on short notice.

Are you mainly looking for lush reef, macro subjects, schools of pretty small to mid.size fish, or what?

I haven't been to the Philippines, but might like to go someday so I've been following threads on it for awhile.

Found a safari (recommended by someone here), but to my dismay, only one place is available.
What was it, since knowing might save someone recommending it back to you?

I assume by safari you refer to what some would call a dive operator.

Also unsure what is meant by safari here. In some places I’ve seen the term used for a regular liveaboard, or just a regular land based dive op running day boats. Sounds like the latter is what you are talking about? Plenty of those, what you really need to tell us is what sort of diving you want, what you want to see. Big stuff? Little macro stuff? Sharks? Schools of stuff? And what sort of place you want to stay - nicer dive resort, backpacker kind of place, or what?

In the Philippines at least there is a thing they call safaris where you travel between different places by dive boat, diving along the way but usually staying at different accommodations each night rather than sleeping on the boat.

What is meant by remote? Truely remote as in hard to get to with few visitors (and possibly not much for dive shops) or “not Manila.” Or something in between, which probably describes most of the dive spots. I can see wanting a quieter place rather than a party place, but I’m not sure your main goal here should be “remote.”

Keep in mind travel in the Philippines can be time consuming and a bit of an adventure, even to pretty mainstream places, so be careful what you ask for!

Without knowing your likes / dislikes, your budget, diving experience it's not going to be easy to advise you where to go.

Easter is in April this year (9 April) and that's a BIG holiday there, so be prepared. April is also a good time to visit PI as weather is generally good for diving.

Check out some of threads in this section of the forum for Trip Reports.

Hello. May I suggest a liveaboard that goes to Tubbataha Reef? You are in the Philippines during the dive season for that location. Being that it is remote, it is only accessible by liveaboard.

End of Apr is the best time to visit Tubattaha as some members have already suggested. The area is only opened about 3 months a yr and is situated in the middle of Sulu Sea and is certainly remote and isolated. Only the rangers are allowed to station on the land.

"staying on a remote island and go out on a day safari"?
There is no such thing as day safari. The trip usually last several days and travel to several locations quite a distance apart.

Thank you for all the replies! By Safari I meant going to different locations but staying in a resort or an island not on the mainland. Tabbattaha was also a favourite, because of the diverse marine life and prestine conditions. That is what I'm after - reef dives, and seeing marine life at its' best. My only concern is that I've never been on liveaboard and didn't want to risk getting sea sick or anxious (although I've never had the sea-sickness issues). Are you aware of any day trips that go to Tubbatahha for day?

Thanks again, truly appreciated.

Are you aware of any day trips that go to Tubbatahha for day?
I have not done it yet but I recall reading that the boat trip is around 10 hours.

When I was researching Coral Triangle Destinations, I composed some notes on the Philippines, mainly trying to get a handle on how it compared to some Indonesian diving (I ultimately went to Raja Ampat on a liveaboard trip). The Philippines are complex because we're talking about an area that, just looking at a map, looks roughly the area of the Caribbean, with as much or more land-mass (again, just glancing at a map).

I'm going to copy and paste you some of my notes, which include links to trip reports from people who've been there. I'll leave out most of the 'versus Indonesian destinations' content. Puerto Galera seems to be a popular general diving choice, gets mentioned enough I suspect it's a popular first timer choice, and if it were me, I'd try to recreate Trailboss123's trip there with El Galleon and Asia Divers.

The Philippines – a large group of islands in the northern hemisphere a tad less far flung, cheaper or expensive options, and varied areas with a rep. for different experiences (e.g.: Puerto Galera – reef/variety diving, Dumaguete – muck diving, Anilao – macro., Tubbataha reef by liveaboard). Puerto Galera and Dumaguete each have an Atlantis Resort, which while pricy are well-regarded and Damselfish (Post #9) noted they do a great job with logistics, making visiting relatively painless. There are other options – such as Moalboal, Malapasqua, Bohol, Apo Island, the Visayas. The Philippines water gets cooler in winter (e.g.: February). Note: I’m told pseudoephedrine is illegal in the Philippines (at least without a physician’s letter authorizing use – check the current legal situation before you go).
Jjmochi (Post #9) rated Komodo > Tubbataha > Visayas >> Puerto Galera, and gave a very interesting breakdown of Komodo vs. Tubbataha.

I’m told Sudafed is illegal to bring into the Philippines (couldn’t confirm – see Is pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) allowed in the Philippines) and scuba regulators are considered blunt instruments (potential weapons) and must be in checked baggage, not carry-on (see Flying with Regulators into and out of the Philippines).
ComparisonsPhilippines 2020 FAM TRIP (Puerto Galera & Dumaguete) – Report & Pix (FAM = familiarization) – Jan. 2020 by Ken Kurtis. Puerto Galera or Dumaguete? Nov. 2020 thread. Philippines – where, oh where? – Oct. 2019 thread. Anilao vs PG for one month stay – Nov. 2020 thread. Quick recap and some shots from 9 days in Anilao/PG(jjmochi in April/May 2022 spent 4 days in Anilao diving with Blue Ribbon, and 5 days in Puerto Galera diving with El Galleon/Asia Divers. Locations for Diving in Philippines this February – Jan. 2020 thread. Going to the Philippines – Squeal, giggle, snort… Feb. 2020 thread with wife and kids (not all diving). Beginner level diving destinations in the Philippines – Feb. 2020 thread. Where to go in January 2018 for macrophotography vacation? Anilao vs Moalboal in January for Marine Life / Temp. Where is the best overall diving in Asia? (Post #2) – OutOfOfficeBRB contrasted Puerto Galera, Tubbataha, Raja Ampat, Komodo and Lembeh, with Puerto Galera coming out well as the budget option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom