Descents and Ascents while practicing skills. Is this ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the ascents are well controlled and slow, you can do a number of them without harm. I can't even keep track of how many ascents from 14 feet I do during a pool session! But I did have a rather nasty experience as a newer diver, where we were practicing skills while ascending at night, and we lost control of a couple of ascents and corked from ten or fifteen feet. I think we did something like seven ascents from the 20 - 25 foot range that night, and were never any deeper. Driving home, I felt as though I were back in residency, and trying to drive after having been up 72 hours straight. I fell asleep at a stop sign and my foot slid off the gas pedal . . . and this was at about 8 pm, the day after a good night's sleep. I firmly believe that subclinical DCS is real, and that I had it, and it wasn't fun.

Edited to add that I see nothing wrong at all with surfacing to debrief skills. I would combine several into a given immersion, but you can't realistically debrief things like, "I'd rather have you more at my depth and up on my shoulder; you got a bit behind and above me, and I couldn't see you," very well on wetnotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom