• Head first

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Depends on mood/situation

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • Other (sideways?)

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always had problems equalizing one ear, and it usually takes me a while to gradually get to the bottom. Feet first always makes it easier.

I've tried the head first, finning toward the bottom during a drift dive - definitely not the method for me. In those cases I will get horizontal and gradually drop down.

Horizontal

First question...why are you doing a head first descent on SCUBA anyway...seems like a good way to get a tank in the back of the head if you ask me.

I would suggest horizontal for descending....seems to be easy to control and you don't run the risk of siling out the bottom.

Head first then horizontal usually unless vis is poor - then it's feet first to keep keep an eye on the buddy.

At the surface, in a vertical position to easily dump the air out of the BC that has been used to provided floatation.

As I start to descend I slide into a horizontal position feet first, monitoring my buddy's progress.

As I descend I stop at 10 feet in a horizontal position to allow so that I maintain contact with buddy, get a chance to staballize the descent rate and ensure that everyone is able to clear ears, etc. Then we descend horizonatally to the bottom, monitoring the descent rate and the buddy team.

Horizontal descents allow for more control of the descent rate due to the increased surface area and drag. So it can actually help with ear clearing as you will be in more control of your descent. If you are having a problems with ears you can halt the descent or even ascend a few feet to clear them.

It's also important to descend with your buddy. Your buddy is going to be of no use if they are 20 feet above or below you. You also risk losing any contact at all with them which would then result in having to surface to reestablish
buddy contact.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

...horizontal. Flare your arms and legs to slow your descent, and with some careful inflator use, you should be able to pull up just above the bottom and hover without touching bottom or raising silt. Then wait for your buddy to thump onto the bottom on their knees :)

Diving dry, ou want to keep level. Any part "first" will squeeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom