Descending Refresher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to go diving at Cayman Brac after a year off. I did not have the opportunity to get any practice dives in at a local pool or such.

Each time I dive after a long lag, the first couple of dives I have a great deal of difficulty descending (not to mention my bouyancy). So I find myself overweighting.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas? The planes leaves Saturday.....

Scuba Barbie:
Hi,
I'm about to go diving at Cayman Brac after a year off. I did not have the opportunity to get any practice dives in at a local pool or such.

Each time I dive after a long lag, the first couple of dives I have a great deal of difficulty descending (not to mention my bouyancy). So I find myself overweighting.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas? The planes leaves Saturday.....

This could be dangerous. Stay right where you are. About the only chance I see for you would be to send me your tickets. My descents are in pretty good order and I'm willing to chance the rest to keep you from danger.

After a year of not diving - I'd ask the DM for a private instructor session. Shouldn't cost much.

Have a good trip. :1balloon:

MikeFerrara:
This could be dangerous. Stay right where you are. About the only chance I see for you would be to send me your tickets. My descents are in pretty good order and I'm willing to chance the rest to keep you from danger.

LOL... :)

Barbie,

Can you be more specific about what your problem is?

R..

MikeFerrara:

Now Mike -- that will never fly -- she is going to want to take that trip -- instead you offer to go WITH her -- as her private instructor -- all expences paid of course. You can give her instruction on proper descent technique so she will stay safe from any possible dangers! (-;

Kimber

Mike,
Ha, Ha. Pretty sure my husband would take umbrage....

Diver0001,
I just can't seem to sink, no matter how much weight I have on.

Scuba Barbie:
Mike,
Ha, Ha. Pretty sure my husband would take umbrage....

Diver0001,
I just can't seem to sink, no matter how much weight I have on.
This happens often with newbies and vacation divers. Typically, you're nervous and don't relax and exhale sufficiently at first. I doubt that you ever fail to sink with enough extra weighting, but the additional amount can seem excessive, to you and to a DM running herd on a number of divers.

Still suggest a private DM session.

Make sure you are not breathing heavily before descending. Before you drop down, take a moment or two to relax and make sure you are calm. Otherwise you might tend to take deep inhalations when trying to descend, which will only send you to the surface.

Exhale to start dropping. When you start going under, don't take in a big breath. Only small breaths, if necessary, until you start dropping.

Also, keep still while descending. Keep track of your feet, and make sure they are absolutely still and you are not kicking your fins.

Thanks Jim & Don,

My failure to be able to relax is the key to the problem. I am so wound up about the trip and the diving and the fish and the coral. And I have waited so long and saved up so much money. Ehhhyaaayee, it's a wonder I ever descend.

Okay, maybe I'll read up on meditation this week, but no deep breathing, shallow breathes on the way down. I always thought deep breathing would relax me, so that is counter-intuitive.

Thanks again,

Jim's summed it up pretty well ... if I may add some details ...

Before beginning your descent, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing ... it should be slow, deep, and calm.

Cross your feet at the ankles ... this will prevent you from inadvertently kicking, which would propel you up while you're trying to go down. Keep them that way while you begin your descent.

As you start to let air out of your BCD, take a deep breath in. Then, when the air is almost out of your BCD and you feel yourself starting to sink, begin a loooooong, slow, exhale. When you reach the point where you think you've expelled all the air from your lungs, breathe out some more. You will probably be surprised to discover there's still air in there (added buoyancy).

Maintain that exhale till you're 3 or 4 feet down. Now compression starts to take over, and you can begin a slow inhale.

Uncross your feet and make yourself horizontal, so you won't be propelling yourself upward when you start to kick.

As you continue to sink, breathe normally and add short puffs of air to yor BCD to slow your descent. When you're about 3 or 4 feet off the bottom, inhale deeply to stop your descent. As you exhale, add short puffs of air to the BCD to maintain your position.

You're down ... enjoy the dive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom