Descaling vintage parts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a US Divers DH Aquamast that I am going to work on over the winter. The previous owner was using it as a hooka regulator and the hoses and mouth look to be in good condition except for some reddish mineral build up (bottom paint?). Any suggestions on ways to clean it up without degrading the rubber? I am planning to use it, but not frequently, so not having to spend $60 on replacem hoses would be nice.

Whenever I'm going to clean hoses for my DH regs I grabs some old towels, you know, the ones that are reserved for putting on the car seat after a dive or standing on at the dive site. Put 3 or 4 of them in the washing machine and add the hoses. I use ALL Free & clear detergent. No bleach and no dryer for the hoses. It's an easy place to start.

I wash them the same way. Before you do, take a very good look at them, stretching them around the small end, esp in the first small ring. It's not uncommon for the horn to cut a small hole in them at that point. It's hard to see but causes issues with water getting in the hoses. The silicone ones are much better, if you intend to dive the reg, I suggest you replace them.

Back
Top Bottom