Depth of sailboat - Barstow's WP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
Where exactly is this boat? What is the easiest way to find it?

If you go off platform 3 and follow the chain down to the deep platform then turn left (South) and follow the very defined rock shelf you will run right into it. In July the lake levels were near normal and the stern was below 90', the deck about mid-ship was at 83'. Oct 20th I dove the point and platform 3 which is usually about 30' deep was 18' deep, the rock shelf that goes North to the grotto and Pinto, and South to the Big Sailboat was around 60-63 feet. I was headed to the big Sail boat Vis was pretty crappy (5'-8')and about halfway there dive buddy got vertigoed due to the loss of visual cues so we turned around.

Uh, which sailboat are we talkin' about now? The closest one to the public park (on the map) is only 17 feet long. Is this the new one? I never dive out on that side of Barstow's.

I got stuck inside one of the big ones once. That was fun.

cyklon_300:
Notice the second word...

I looked at the map. There's three sailboats on it. There used to be only two at Windy Point.

The beneteau, which is the sailboat I believe ya'll are talking about (mostly intact with only damage in the bow), is about 30' long.
I think I'll dive that location soon (I dive further up in the creek relatively often): it'll be fun to see a boat that size underwater...or maybe I should take a wreck diving course first... Maybe this weekend, thanks for the directions Jay Diver.

Ah, now I see where it is. This is a fourth sailboat. It's the isosceles triangle on the posted map, underneath the "UW map" text. It's just not labeled.

Huh, guess it's time for me to go visit Windy Point. They be dropping all sorts of new junk in the water!

cyklon_300:
Notice the second word...

Now boys play nice......Hi Gregg just got in from a day of up at barstows W.P. The vis is still good at 150 however there is lots & lots of suspended particles..I think it will trash out in a week or so. I ran into a boat sitting @ 145' it looks to be scuttled on purpose it is basically a shell. Is that one on the map? When you heading back to Florida next?

Later
Dave

veggiedog:
The beneteau, which is the sailboat I believe ya'll are talking about (mostly intact with only damage in the bow), is about 30' long.
I think I'll dive that location soon (I dive further up in the creek relatively often): it'll be fun to see a boat that size underwater...or maybe I should take a wreck diving course first... Maybe this weekend, thanks for the directions Jay Diver.
It is pretty impressive, the cutty cabin is large enough to slip into with full gear. Just be careful when approaching the boat from the North (platform 3 per directions) there is a downed tree just before the boat that has a few menacingly protruding branches, easy to run into if you've got you head down following the shelf. Just remember to look up occasionaly. Have fun and a good Turkey Day I'm headed to Houston Sunday for a week long Cruise to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. (Trip update and Pictures to follow). Adios!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom