DEPP Camera Flood Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
Thanks to whoever it was that suggested DEPP for camera flood coverage. I talked to them today and was very impressed. Their rates seemed reasonable,for example, up to $2,000 of gear full coverage (loss,theft, damage etc) is $30.00 plus 4% additional Flood coverage on the photographic gear.

Their range of coverage sounds really good and apparently even covers situations where something ends up overboard due to wind/waves etc (as long as the dive boat company provides DEPP a letter with the details of what happened.

I hope I never need it, but it's nice to have.

http://www.equipmentprotection.com/programs/depp.html

I'm planning on getting a UW Housing for my Oly C-740 and was concerned about taking an expensive digital camera underwater. I'll have to check into the ins.

Thanks,

Wildbill:cop_2:

Yep...I won't get photo gear in the water without it! I've had DEEP since my first camera in '97 and have always been extremely pleased. I recently added Beasts new C-5050/PT-15 to the policy, all done through email since I had a credit card on file. Much easier than phone calls and faxing forms.

One of my claims was for impact damage when I fell at a hotel on slick floors. The MMII had to be gutted and rebuilt...no problem.

ok i have a question, im needing to get insurance for my 5050 as it will be goinbg in the water this next week as apart of my job. but i was wondering say i declare the camera housing on the policy. (full value that i paid) and it floods , do i get a new housing and camera or do i get a check to replace it minus the deductable. is this correct ?

tooth

Scubatooth:
ok i have a question, im needing to get insurance for my 5050 as it will be goinbg in the water this next week as apart of my job. but i was wondering say i declare the camera housing on the policy. (full value that i paid) and it floods , do i get a new housing and camera or do i get a check to replace it minus the deductable. is this correct ?

tooth

The best answer I can give you is, it depends. To answer what I think your basic question is, DEPP will either replace or repair your equipment - they will not just give you a check. I have them, but thankfully have not had to use them, so I only know what was described to me when I signed up. Bascially, I think that you send in your gear when you have a problem, and they make the determination as to whether it gets repaired or replaced. In the example you gave, unless your housing had a crack in it or something (which is very unlikely - more probable is that the o-ring wasn't inserted correctly) the housing would probably not need any fixing, but the camera would be ruined. You would need to pay for the flood insurance for this to be covered (since it was a flood that ruined it) but you would send the ruined camera into them and they would decide if it could be repaired or if it would be better off to buy a new camera (which could be a refurbished one, at their discretion, which was the only thing I didn't like about their plan). If there was a problem with the housing, they will fix or replace that as well, but chances are that any housing problems are caused by human error, and the housing will still work fine next time, even if it leaks this dive.

I hope that makes sense and helps. The best advice I can give is for you to call DEPP directly with your questions - they were very helpful and patient when I called them.

I am so glad that I ran across this post. Just this morning, I ordered my first 'SCUBA' camera, c-5060 and housing. I am going to check into the camera insurance right now!

Thanks!

Scubatooth:

tooth

The housing doesn't need flood insurance, it isn't ruined if it gets wet on the inside. The only reason to cover it is for damage and/or theft.

If your 5050 needs to be replaced, you'll have the option of replacing it with a newer model, plus the difference in cost, or helping DEPP locate a replacement 5050. If, for whatever reason, you end up with a model that doesn't fit your PT-15 housing, you're out of luck. DEPP will not replace the housing just because the replacement camera no longer fits.

Call DEPP - 888/678-4096. Sandy will explain it all to you.

DEPP as made an unauthorized charge of over $300.00 to my charge card. They were not authorized to. It has been two weeks, called and written four times with no response. Going to the Insurance commissioner. Next Buyer Beware unless they can come up with a reason for their failure to business in a timely fashion.

I have had DEPP for some time. Ever since I got it, I've had no floods in my camcorder housing (two minor ones before I got DEPP). The only claim I've filed was for my old Uwatek Aladin Pro computer which cracked and leaked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom