Deploying DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix31tt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Who else thinks deploying DSMBs are fun!!...

we finally got our DSMBs and decided to learn/practice shooting them, the only instruction we had were reading and videos..

1st try wasnt so good, it was only in 8ft of water and i tried to use the mouth insert, before i could get it reasonably filled it started pulling me up so i let it go (it was about 1/3 filled).

2nd try was in 12ft water and i decided to use the exhaust from my breathing to fill it... this went much better and worked out well, instead of going straight to filling i put a little air in it to get it standing straight then filled it. it was about 2/3 filled at the surface...

3rd try as in 30ft of water, and it went about as perfect as can be, i got a significant amount of air in at the bottom and was able to hold it for a couple seconds to ensure everything was clear then let go... it was 100% filled at the surface.

i really enjoy deploying DSMBs... next time i dive it will be with our 7' long hoses!!! looking forward to that to :)

I love shooting a bag, too. It's nice to do something with polish and take pride in it.

Some hints, it's much easier using air from your lungs, because your overall buoyancy doesn't change. Good one on you for learning the skill - when you really need it, it'll be one less skill to trip you up.

Hot tip is to have both the spool and your DSMB in the left hand. Then hold the bag clear so your buddy can confirm it's well clear and not entangled before you let go.

All the best, James

Shooting your bag from depth is def one of the more satisfying thing to do while diving. That and hunting.

I love shooting a bag, too. It's nice to do something with polish and take pride in it.

Some hints, it's much easier using air from your lungs, because your overall buoyancy doesn't change. Good one on you for learning the skill - when you really need it, it'll be one less skill to trip you up.

Hot tip is to have both the spool and your DSMB in the left hand. Then hold the bag clear so your buddy can confirm it's well clear and not entangled before you let go.

All the best, James

That looked so clean and professional, nice job! I'm still waiting to get a chance to practice with mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

@ fdog, i agree with using the air from the lungs, thats why i us my exhaust but the reg remains in my mouth.
on my 3 deploys i had the bag in my left hand, and the spool in my right. But both hands were cleared to prevent any entanglements... i will try holding both in the left hand on my next attempt.

the video is good but the only difference is my smb is 6' as opposed to the 3-4 foot one in the video so it requires some more air to fill

Try transferring gas from your BCD/wing into the DSMB... no change in buoyancy which gives you lots of time to sort things out before you let that sucker go. Just remember to put gas in your BCD/Wing once you let the bag go!

Try transferring gas from your BCD/wing into the DSMB...

the only problem I might have there is that my wing usually has very little air especially at the end of a dive.

I think my full lung volume has way more air than my wing would ever have.. So I take a really deep breath and transfer that to the dsmb... So I'm negative and the dsmb is positive, I get back positive by breathing in...

I will still try to use the air from my wing and see how it works doh.. I'm ready to try all sensible methods until I find the one for me

the only problem I might have there is that my wing usually has very little air especially at the end of a dive.

I think my full lung volume has way more air than my wing would ever have.. So I take a really deep breath and transfer that to the dsmb... So I'm negative and the dsmb is positive, I get back positive by breathing in...

I will still try to use the air from my wing and see how it works doh.. I'm ready to try all sensible methods until I find the one for me

Obviously you need some air in the wing to make it work (LOL) but give it a try... and have fun!

Or you hand the spool to your buddy, then you have both hands free to quickly inflate the thing with your octo and just let it go...

I like bag shooting, but I didn't when I was learning! It took a while to figure out how to manage the whole buoyancy shift thing. So, if other people reading this don't get the OP's immediate success, don't despair -- you WILL figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom