Denisegg's incident and near miss at Jackson Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make sure you make it to VORTOBERFEST VI!
:D
Rick
Yes Denise, please do! I'll have a big HUG for you when I see ya again and THANKFUL & GLAD that is possible! :hugs:

WOW Denise, I haven't been up to date on Scubaboard in the last few weeks and this is what I logged into. Sorry to here that this has happened and I wish you to have a fast recovery. Thanks for sharing.
I was shocked to see this thread! Glad to hear you are doing OK.
Ditto! Happening upon this thread was a shocker to say the least. :shocked2: :signofcross:

I'm pretty sure she just saves that for Vortoberfest. :)
:rofl3: Special Crowd priveleges. :rofl3:

...:shocked2: Ignorance is bliss in this case, methinks!
:worship: Yeah, The cupcake avatar would have to be replaced by the original Borg Queen for sharing some of those possible visuals.

Denise, So glad you are doing better and are around to discuss it. Hugs, prayers and thoughts going out to you, from me and Lisa.

That looks like a good system CD.

Mine is different tho. I wanted/needed something compact so it would fit in the trunk with two full sets of dive gear and 2 - 4 tanks. I needed it to be able to take a fair amount of beating around and go on a dive boat without worry of it getting wet. This thing gets thrown in the car with dive gear every time we go out.

I wanted something with a demand head and the ability to apply positive pressure 100% O2 with a release or bleedback/safety valve. I didn't want to use a SBR because I wanted to minimize the amount of O2 I had to carry. I prefer the Soft Bag Resuscitator because you can feel the resistance and have a more delicate control of the O2delivery. The "bleedback/release valve is preset and either the resistance is so much he vents back or it doesn't. Of course the benefit of the mechanical system is that the only o2 coming out of your tank is going into your patient.

I also wanted something that would allow a normal therapy delivery in the event of a non diving event such as conscious MI or Asthma. I can dial flow rates from .25lpm to 20lpm altho the only flow rates you would really need is 8 and 15.

The tanks are small but as soon as someone arrives with more tanks we can change over. I've only had to use it 4 times since I got it but worth the peace of mind knowing it is there. We have occasional get-togethers with our dive buddies to go over the equipment. This is a suplemental system if we are on a dive boat. It is often a better system than the boat has so we can use my system and their cylinders if needed.

Here are a couple shots I just took

Attachments

• DSC00057 (Large).JPG
    DSC00057 (Large).JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00058 (Large).JPG
    DSC00058 (Large).JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00059 (Large).JPG
    DSC00059 (Large).JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00060 (Large).JPG
    DSC00060 (Large).JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00061 (Large).JPG
    DSC00061 (Large).JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 74
LOL. BabyDuck you can appreciate this little fact. Even under the duress I was in I had enough state of mind to stop them as they were pulling my drysuit off to inform my male dive buddy to release the quick release valve on my she-p. He not being a drysuit wearer had no clue and started trying to unscrew the outside valve. Here I am breathing through the reg on the stage bottle coughing every breath saving "quick release" "quick relase" I can't imagine what part of the system would have "released" first.:wink:
I guess this should be added to the familiarize your buddy with your gear list in the future.

Very good point... thanks so much for helping us learn here Denise! :flowers: I do pray that we all learn as much as possible from this but not at the expense of your diving and ultimate good health! :consolation:

some more info on set up and use (with audio)
Twisting the unit changes flow rate from 15lpm to 25lpm ... RescuEAN

while not a substitute for emergency O2, the low cost of this unit (I saw $137USD) might mean that more people will have it in their dive kit

Thanks after watching that I know where the "nasal mask" term is coming from.. I hadn't heard that term before you used it CD.

That system is certainly a LOT cheaper than the system I have. Obviously 100% O2 is the best option but the pod is so much cheaper more people are likely to be able to afford it.

I really believe if you have a group of regulars you dive with... pooling resources and getting a good O2 system is the best option.

Word of warning tho... we had our equipment out .. (O2 system and Defib) assisting a diver in trouble. When the police were gathering the Ambulance Service supplies to put in the Ambulance Fish wound up having to "guard" our equipment.. people kept trying to pick it up put it in the Ambulance! We wouldn't want to have to turn into "ambulance Chasers" trying to get several thousand dollars worth of equipment:shakehead:

Looks to be a very good kit you have Petunia , did you assemble it from separate components ? ... and where might someone (with the training to use it) look to find them ?

Ahh, I see that your O2 kit needs a name stenciled on it :)
Also like the way you have the elastic in the top secured and that it's longer than needed and adjustable ... do the pop rivets leak water at all?

Thanks DB .. I am quite happy with the system it took me a while to find exactly what I wanted. I purchased it from Rick Poole owner of ProDive Services at Port Botany. He is a diver and it is his business where I took the Chamber Dive Course.

He made it to my specs. Normally he sets them up in larger Pelican cases with larger cylinders but I really needed a smaller system. He does oxygen systems for rescue banks for mines and confined spaces in ships. He has done some systems for the military including US Military. It came with a set of Oropharyngeal Airways, pocket mask, and silicone mask. I haven't had any leaks around the rivits so far.. :hm: good idea.... should get that labeled!

I know he made up and sold some similar systems to some live aboard and dive operators in some of our small neighboring countries. I am not sure what countries he exports to or current prices.

I am lucky in that I can claim the costs on the O2 system and Defib on tax. I take them to Onsite courses and teach people to use them as part of my job which make them bona fide business expenses.

Another option that people should consider if cost is an issue is a disposable Soft Bag Resuscitator. I don't know about over there but here you can buy them in the range of $35. Without O2 attached .. you can deliver 21% O2 or the same level the unconscious non breathing casualty would get if they breated normal air. With the SBR you can get a positive pressure effect as well. Of course this depends on having the training to effectively use one. I prefer not to have O2 in my car unless I am diving but I carry an SBR so if I stopped to help at an accident.. I can deliver 21% without the risks associated with mouth to mouth resus which would deliver in the range of 16 - 17% O2. I certainly think this is a very affordable option for people who just aren't in a position to buy the more expensive systems we are looking at here.

Denise, I am so sorry you went through this, but thank you for a valuable lesson learned! I now will have an O2 kit.

FYI, you don't have to get into the hundreds for an O2 kit - DAN sells ~$500 setups! :shocked2:

On Craig's list, I got an 'E'-size O2 tank for $25 -- Make sure it is in hydro!
On ebay, I got a "Medical Oxygen Regulator 0-15 LPM for O2 Tank Cylniders" [sic] for $24
Medical Oxygen Regulator 0-15 LPM items - Get great deals on Business Industrial items on eBay.com!
Note - you need 15LPM for diver O2, the 'regular' O2 is 0-8LPM.
Lastly, you can get five non-rebreather masks for $16
Medlin, Non-Rebreather Masks w/ 7' Tubing - eBay (item 270439255884 end time Aug-01-10 12:53:04 PDT)
The non-rebreather mask delivers up to 90% O2 to the victim, much higher than any other delivery method.​

Oh, PLEASE take an appropriate O2 administration course!

thank you Petunia , Jax

I see various tank sizes are available so you can build a compact kit like Petunia's or one with a more extensive supply of O2

Heck, a new size E tank (24CF) is only $85

thank you Petunia , Jax

I see various tank sizes are available so you can build a compact kit like Petunia's or one with a more extensive supply of O2

Heck, a new size E tank (24CF) is only $85

True, but at the risk of sounding morbid, there are a lot of E tanks available after the death of their owners.

Denise, I'm late to this thread but I am so very happy you are OK now. The O2 kit sounds like a great plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom