Denisegg's incident and near miss at Jackson Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. BabyDuck you can appreciate this little fact. Even under the duress I was in I had enough state of mind to stop them as they were pulling my drysuit off to inform my male dive buddy to release the quick release valve on my she-p. He not being a drysuit wearer had no clue and started trying to unscrew the outside valve. Here I am breathing through the reg on the stage bottle coughing every breath saving "quick release" "quick relase" I can't imagine what part of the system would have "released" first.:wink:
I guess this should be added to the familiarize your buddy with your gear list in the future.

Mee, too! What did the hospital do about your she-p? That must've blown the ER minds!

Just a few points about oxygen:

If you have a conscious, cooperative patient, breathing off an O2 bottle via regulator is an excellent way to provide 100% O2. No ambient air will be entrained during inhalation.

A standard, plastic mask with holes in it, attached to continuous flow oxygen, can provide up to about 50% O2. To provide 100%, you have to have a mask with a soft, usually inflated edge that can conform to the face, and a supply bag that stores the gas until the patient inhales. This mask must be put on with enough elastic tension on the strap to make it seal, or you lose some percentage of oxygen. Such systems generally run O2 at 15L/min, which means the small tanks in the DAN O2 type kits are really sufficient only for very short periods. (An Al40 is a much better source, but typically, you can't hook the medical type devices to it, unless you are carrying some kind of conversation regulator or fitting.)

To provide positive pressure ventilation, you need a mask that will seal and enough pressure on the face to overcome the pressure you're providing. For pulmonary edema, very small amounts of positive pressure can be extremely helpful (known as CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure) but you aren't going to be able to regulate this with anything you have available at a dive site.

Mee, too! What did the hospital do about your she-p? That must've blown the ER minds!

Nothing blows our ER minds. You wouldn't believe the uses I have seen for yams.

They were not worried about getting my damp clothes off for quite a while. They wrapped me in warm blankets. Before transfer to the next hospital, I was able to manage and discreetly asked the female nurse to put that with my belongings.
I managed to pick up on a small conversation between the two female nurses in the corner of the room. They actually knew what it was. :)

Just a few points about oxygen:

If you have a conscious, cooperative patient, breathing off an O2 bottle via regulator is an excellent way to provide 100% O2. No ambient air will be entrained during inhalation.

A standard, plastic mask with holes in it, attached to continuous flow oxygen, can provide up to about 50% O2.

To provide 100%, you have to have a mask with a soft, usually inflated edge that can conform to the face, and a supply bag that stores the gas until the patient inhales. This mask must be put on with enough elastic tension on the strap to make it seal, or you lose some percentage of oxygen. Such systems generally run O2 at 15L/min, which means the small tanks in the DAN O2 type kits are really sufficient only for very short periods. (An Al40 is a much better source, but typically, you can't hook the medical type devices to it, unless you are carrying some kind of conversation regulator or fitting.)

You are describing the non-rebreather mask in that last part, right? The dive boats in Mexico have the DAN kits with non-rebreather masks but not big bottles, which is why I would bring my "E" O2.

Nothing blows our ER minds. You wouldn't believe the uses I have seen for yams.

:shocked2: Ignorance is bliss in this case, methinks!

They were not worried about getting my damp clothes off for quite a while. They wrapped me in warm blankets. Before transfer to the next hospital, I was able to manage and discreetly asked the female nurse to put that with my belongings.
I managed to pick up on a small conversation between the two female nurses in the corner of the room. They actually knew what it was. :)

Excellent! Better educated ER folks.

To provide positive pressure ventilation, you need a mask that will seal and enough pressure on the face to overcome the pressure you're providing. For pulmonary edema, very small amounts of positive pressure can be extremely helpful (known as CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure)

That is exactly what they used on me.

I seem to recall seeing a nasal mask that could be hooked to a standard SCUBA tank, maybe using the LPI?

There are a couple things I've seen, thought DAN had one but this was all I had book marked.

RescuEAN

Ok, after looking some more I think that what I originally saw was probably a prototype for the Rescuean Pod.

wpe7be1fe3.png

some more info on set up and use (with audio)
Twisting the unit changes flow rate from 15lpm to 25lpm ... http://rescuean.com/

while not a substitute for emergency O2, the low cost of this unit (I saw $137USD) might mean that more people will have it in their dive kit

CPAP is probably once of the most significant tools we've gotten in the field since I've been a paramedic. It's pretty rare for us to need to intubate a patient in CHF anymore, to the point that nasal intubation is a dying art around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom