DEMA Impressions Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
2006 DEMA Impressions Part 2

One of the most innovative devices I saw at the show at the show was The Personal Retriever. It is a Coast Guard Approved Type V Personal Flotation Device which is a throw able, rescue device that the manufacturer claims will go further, faster and safer than other throw able devices.

It is a like a safety throw bag used in rescue class, but it’s also like a Frisbee. The manufacturer, Life-Safer, Inc. out of San Diego, claims it can be thrown, accurately, over 100 feet to get a line to a person in distress. It comes in bright orange or yellow. They are looking for distributors, in various markets throughout the world. Info can be found at www.life-safer.com.

Another very innovative product unveiled at DEMA was the first automatic dive reel – the Autoreeler. This is the first hands free dive reel, it is made from 316 Stainless Steel, the body is molded out of Acetyl, and the line leveler allows 67% more line. There is also a line tensioning system, and a spring loaded drag knob to stop spooling which prevents bird nesting. The unit uses 4 AA batteries and has patents applied for. Information can be found at Spectrum Diving Equipment Inc. Mr. Dennis Kaleta, is the inventor and President. Their web site is www.spectrumdiving.com.

For any dive shop that wants an instant e commerce site contact Dan Nate at Scuba-Ttaining.net 772-299-0057. When I was at their booth, quite a few of their customers stopped by and were raving about their sites were presented. The quote of the day came from one dive shop owner – “there are only two types of LDS, those who use the internet, and those who don’t. The ones who don’t won’t be around long”. Too see what they have to offer see A1Scubagear.com. The owner is Jennifer Fisher out of Trevos, PA and loves her web presence. She made the statement that its great to make sales 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all over the world. This is the future.

One of my absolute favorite sites at DEMA was Analox Sensor Technologly. www.analox.net , out of Huntington Beach, CA. I use their O2EII NITROX Meter and I feel that it is the best on the market. Patti Clarkson is their Vice President, Sales and Marketing. One of the products that they were introducing was their new CO Clear Carbon Monoxide Compressor Monitor. If you are doing tank fills you need this device. You really can’t be without it. CO2 is deadly and filters can and do fail. This device mounts in-line between your manifold and the tanks being filled and will give 24 – 7 monitoring for CO2. If there is a problem, you will receive a visible and audible alarm warning. Their buzz word is “on every fill.” I personally think they are right.

There were 2 companies that had interesting lines of re-breathers. One was an Italian company, Aquatek. Their web site is www.aquatek.com. They were at DEMA looking for authorized centers in select locations around the world. Nicola Donda is the president and the point of contact. Their line of re-breathers is quite extensive and range from their sport version Voyager Sport through 5 other models up to the Voyager Red CCR. This is one with all of the bells and whistles. For starters, it is a special explorer redundant CCR mechanical re-breather. It has a double independent breathing loop, a double independent scrubber, a double independent gas alimentation. Three independent O2 tanks on board, redundant diluent alimentation, double ADV system, double O2
by-pass, and more and more. I have no idea what this thing costs, but I want one!

The other re-breather manufacturer that was taking a different approach was and Australian company called, of all things, Rebreathers Australia. They had a limited line of only 2 re-breathers, but when you are doing it right, how many choices do you need? The Stingray CCR is their recreational level re-breather with everything you need except for 3 K-1D sensors, a 9 volt battery and gas fills for a little over $5K that’s no bad. Their Abyss CCR is slightly higher but still an pretty good buy for the money. Check their web site at www.rebreathers.com.su/

A few more sites worth mentioning then I’ll get on my way. If you are looking for a terrific technical (can) or photography light look at the company Keldan. They are from Switzerland. Daniel Keller is the Managing Director and he is looking for dealers in select locations worldwide. More information can be found at www.keldan.ch. Their lights are very compact, HID lights. Not only does this lamp give a brighter, more natural light but, for their video lights they use a dedicated design of defused light from a special lens. In fact, they have test comparison data that shows that their lights are the only ones tested that had no blue in their light. Also, with this defused lens, they are able to achieve a 60 degree beam without a center spot. This is one of the best line of lights I’ve seen.

Now, I don’t know if I’ve been under a rock for the last few years (and I’m sure that there will be a number of people that will advise me that I was!) but I saw something right from Buck Rogers at the show. The SpacePlane. Just the name says “you want me!” and my wallet was coming out, until I was reminded that were looking for dealers not an Instructor with all of his credit cards over the limit. Anyway the SpacePlane is an underwater jetpack. Yeah, it’s an underwater propulsion unit that you strap to your back. In fact, it’s more like to jets that you place on your back, around a single tank. It has a speed controller with 3 speeds, weighs about 24 pounds, has a max depth of 150 feet, operates about 6 mph, and operation time is 80 minutes on medium. If you would like to see this thing work (windows Media Player is necessary) www.spstms.Inc. It’s from Space Systems, Inc – Japan.

My last two picks are jewelry related. One was Big Blue Aquatic Gifts by Roland St. John out of Rhode Island. His website is at www.bigbluediver.com . Why am I so high on this? The jewelry he makes is absolutely gorgeous, priced right and he does it all himself. He was looking for distribution such as a LDS set up a counter display and sell some jewelry. That was always my thought, why wouldn’t you introduce a impulse item right at the checkout counter? Wal-Mart does it! Also, if you don’t see it, ask for it. If you would like a divers down flag ring with DM, or Instructor, or whatever on it, he’ll do it.

Along the theme of jewelry and impulse items right on the way out of your shop why not offer pins. That’s right pins. Pins about diving, pins about your shop, pins about your brands, pins with animals, pins that says you are a diver, pins that show what level of certification level you achieved. The Pin Peddlers, Inc. at www.PinPeddlers.com would be a place to go. Besides the standard stock items, which is plenty packed with diving “stuff” you can get just about anything you want for a small set up charge ($70.00 to about $90.00) and a minimum order of 100 pins. I’ve been involved in getting pins over the years for different groups, and I will tell you this is a very reasonable fee plus, Tommy and Audrey Brendel design and make the pins. Your not dealing with some large, uncaring manufacturer. You are dealing with the owners.

Now I’ll be wrapping up my impressions of 2006 DEMA and going my way to try to get some photos on here. By the way, for those who asked, DEMA will be at Orlando next year also, I believe it’s around October 31st (Halloween!).

Thanks for your reports...

So, you can buy some stuff at the show at the great price or not?

hoosier:
Thanks for your reports...

So, you can buy some stuff at the show at the great price or not?

I think where's there a will there's a way. Most of the big guys want you to be able to buy thousands of dollars prior to even talking to you. In fact, the most covited badge is that of buyer and it's fairly hard to get. However, it looked like a lot of the smaller guys were just "chompin at the bit" to cut a deal with anyone they could.

Would love to see pictures of the new Hollis tech gears (Booth 1519) and X-Lights from Dive Xtras (Booth 2183), please!

Louma:
I think where's there a will there's a way. Most of the big guys want you to be able to buy thousands of dollars prior to even talking to you. In fact, the most covited badge is that of buyer and it's fairly hard to get. However, it looked like a lot of the smaller guys were just "chompin at the bit" to cut a deal with anyone they could.

As I recall, officially, any booths can't sell anything at the site. But, in reality, I have seen and met some divers got the new equipments at the killer deal, for example, dive light, filter, etc......

So, I am wondering how this deal goes at the show this year. So, the small guys can get some deal for the personal use?

Louma:
2006 DEMA Impressions Part 2

There were 2 companies that had interesting lines of re-breathers. One was an Italian company, Aquatek. Their web site is www.aquatek.com. They were at DEMA looking for authorized centers in select locations around the world. Nicola Donda is the president and the point of contact. Their line of re-breathers is quite extensive and range from their sport version Voyager Sport through 5 other models up to the Voyager Red CCR. This is one with all of the bells and whistles. For starters, it is a special explorer redundant CCR mechanical re-breather. It has a double independent breathing loop, a double independent scrubber, a double independent gas alimentation. Three independent O2 tanks on board, redundant diluent alimentation, double ADV system, double O2
by-pass, and more and more. I have no idea what this thing costs, but I want one!

Correct link for Aquatek - Voyager rebreather is http://www.aquatek.eu . It will be online in a couple of weeks.
cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom