Dema 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
But... in reference to USIA, I might have to check their drysuits out if they offer a good suit for the $1k range like Perrone Ford said.. I think I just read that they got a HUGE contract recently with the USCG also.

MIke_s,

I had looked at the DUI TLS350 because that is what a lot of people who I know wore. To get the options that I wanted (turbosoles, no zipseals, pockets, dump valve, larger sized boots, and larger than stock bottom), I was into the custom suit range at $2600. That was well out of my league and I thought I'd have to dive wet.

Then I found out that the Dive Rite 905 was selling in the $1500 price range and could be had cheaper on sale. I asked around and a LOT of people were happy with it. The price began to look realistic for a nice suit. Then I heard about Pinnacle releasing their new suit, then I learned about USIA and got into a USIA suit. The price points from $1k - $1.5k, were suddenly options with nicely built suits.

It's still a lot of money, but its a LOT easier for me to swallow $1200, than $2600.

PerroneFord:
Jerry,

I think you guys are missing a GREAT opportunity by not pushing more in Florida. Do you know how many cavers dive dry? Do you know how many MORE cavers would dive dry if they had a $1k suit that wasn't junk? A DUI TLS350 with turbosoles is $2245. The Diverite 905 is $1595 retail. These are the two most popular suits in cave country from what I can see. How much of your product could you position in that retail space?

IMO, USIA isn't a large enough company to handle that increase in sales:):)

Looks like USIA is about to expand production! :)

USIA:
USIA just got a call from DEMA offering a great deal on a booth. We are considering maybe jumping in after all to show off some of our new gear and some of our military gear. Decisions Decision.

Jerry, about the only reason I am going to this years show is to hopefully get to compare everyone's drysuits and order mine. It's a real pain trying to get a decent comparison as folks here in Fl just don't stock them. I am one of those folks who want to touch and feel them all before making the purchasing decision.

I for one hope you go, and congrats on your Homeland Security gig

Cheers

Yea, bring the long one... :wink: I'm shopping!

I looked at USIA's website and they hardly have any dealers in this area (the south east). This is a market where you could sell a lot of shell suits. Lots of folks here quarry dive all winter along where the water and air temps aren't icy freezing, but cold enough that you need to go dry.

Mike_s I agree. It's an area RIPE for Drysuit manufacturers but often ignored because apparently we live in the "south" and it's always warm here.

I still remember my dive in Morrison last winter. Water temp was 56F and vis was about 4ft. I also remember getting out of Ginnie last winter where water temp was 72F and air temp was 37F.

Yea, who needs drysuits in Florida?

PerroneFord:
Mike_s I agree. It's an area RIPE for Drysuit manufacturers but often ignored because apparently we live in the "south" and it's always warm here.

I still remember my dive in Morrison last winter. Water temp was 56F and vis was about 4ft. I also remember getting out of Ginnie last winter where water temp was 72F and air temp was 37F.

Yea, who needs drysuits in Florida?

You guys need to tell your LDS that they need to carry Drysuits, Jerry et al. know there is a market here....

It's not that simple.

The shops here that cater to cave divers tend to be very small, and as such, generally only carry one brand of suit. Normally Dive Rite or DUI. One shop in my town has a TLS350, that's been there for years. They do ZERO to talk to people about it, no one in the shop dives dry, etc. The other shop carries Pinnacle, and recently got in a nice new Pinnacle suit. I don't know how much they are pushing the suit, but that shop really doesn't cater a lot to cave divers.

The only way this is going to work is by the manufacters getting their product in front of divers by positioning the product at shops where their potential customers look for goods.

I am headed to the DUI Dog Days in November. That is an EXCELLENT way to get your gear out in front of people, but expensive the way DUI do it. Smaller manufacters could partner with shops by sending them loaner gear for a weekend to let people touch/feel the product, offering a few raffle based products to get some foot traffic, and the shop anteing up a free drysuit course for purchasers.

The Manufacter is out a dozen suits for a week (shipping back and forth) and maybe a raffle gift or two. The shop gets in a bunch of foot traffic, gets to push product, perhaps sells a suit or two, and has some nice comraderie in the community. The consumer gets some touch/feel time, gets questions answered, and gets to peruse around with other divers for an hour or two.

Toss in a Bar-B-Q or pizza vendor, and things begin to look pretty rosy for all parties involved. Whole deal could be pulled off for under $1k if done right. You couldn't get a 2" magazine ad for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom