Dema 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UGH!!! I hate this time of year. DEMA is rolling around and USIA isn't going again this year. It's killing me. Although I support our decison not to show at DEMA, I really miss going every year. I went to 10 straight DEMA before we decided not to display last year. I hope every one who goes has a blast and really support our U.S. Manufacturers especially. We were considering coming back in 07' but the Florida shows are usually really slow for the Dry Suit market. Hell, the best part were the parties, so now that I'm married, it's probably a good thing I'm not going. But we are back in Vegas in 08' baby.

DEMA is not a consumer show. Regular off-the-shelf humans used to be able to get in easily enough, but the board tightened up the requirements to make it more industry-intensive. I'm not so sure this is the best direction, but knowing whom I know on the board, I know to stay the hell away from any dive industry politics.
Strangely enough, I was not planning on going this year since I was not working for any of the exhibitors this time around, but my wife is insistent that I kinda go up there during the week to use our timeshare in Orlando and then hit the Disney stuff on the weekend.
This sounds too good to be true, so I figure she's going to have me whacked and wants me to have a good sendoff.
Which is just fine with me.
It's too bad USIA won't be there - there actually is a growing drysuit market in Florida. An affordable shellsuit would really help out those 55° at depth winter dives.

USIA:
UGH!!! I hate this time of year. DEMA is rolling around and USIA isn't going again this year. It's killing me. Although I support our decison not to show at DEMA, I really miss going every year. I went to 10 straight DEMA before we decided not to display last year. I hope every one who goes has a blast and really support our U.S. Manufacturers especially. We were considering coming back in 07' but the Florida shows are usually really slow for the Dry Suit market. Hell, the best part were the parties, so now that I'm married, it's probably a good thing I'm not going. But we are back in Vegas in 08' baby.

USIA: No loss. DEMA is now just travel, training, and trinkets, bathing suits and hats with dive flags, fam trips, seminars etc. I was @ the first DEMA and for ten or so years DEMA had a real purpose. Now, it is a waste of time and money.

Can't say I disagree, but from a personal and, well... selfish point of view, I still miss going. I'm surprised at the amount of interest we actually have been getting in the Florida market. We don't have very many dealers in Florida, so if anyone needs anything, please contact me.

There was a time when you practically had to attend industry trade shows no matter what industry you were in to get exposure for your product or to find out what was available to buy/sell.

While that isn't so much the case anymore Dema is still a blast to attend. I always find great travel deals there.

As most of you know my husband and I run a dive club consulting business and we also find many great incentive deals to offer our clientel.

We will again be there this year to meet with our clients, Search for trips, Update some certifications, Crossover one of our certifications and generally keep up to date with everything we can.

If you see us on the floor make sure to stop us and say hi.

If you are interested in joining us for our last night wrap party let us know.

USIA just got a call from DEMA offering a great deal on a booth. We are considering maybe jumping in after all to show off some of our new gear and some of our military gear. Decisions Decision.

Jerry,

I think you guys are missing a GREAT opportunity by not pushing more in Florida. Do you know how many cavers dive dry? Do you know how many MORE cavers would dive dry if they had a $1k suit that wasn't junk? A DUI TLS350 with turbosoles is $2245. The Diverite 905 is $1595 retail. These are the two most popular suits in cave country from what I can see. How much of your product could you position in that retail space?

mdb:
USIA: No loss. DEMA is now just travel, training, and trinkets, bathing suits and hats with dive flags, fam trips, seminars etc. I was @ the first DEMA and for ten or so years DEMA had a real purpose. Now, it is a waste of time and money.

Well that right there shows how the industry is changing. The fact that DEMA has now turned into a trinket show.

It also shows how much the internet is changing the scuba industry. Even places like Scubaboard changing it. Divers are more educated about gear now as when someone buys even a TV people seem to get online first and research it, even if they buy it locally instead of on the web.

The fact they are offereing "deals" on booths to vendors shows that they have lots of booths still not sold out.

But... in reference to USIA, I might have to check their drysuits out if they offer a good suit for the $1k range like Perrone Ford said.. I think I just read that they got a HUGE contract recently with the USCG also.

Most of the deals are on 10x10's that people have cancelled on at the last minute. It's a far cry from the 20x40 we had at our last DEMA in Houston. Then again, that show was the reason we stopped doing DEMA:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom