Delta4/FDX10, XTX50, or S600/MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodeatsfan:
Serrada - I was advised to service it once every 2 years or 100 dives whichever came first. We haven't got the parts for life program, so servicing costs pretty much the same all the time is what I've been told by others around my area. BUT I do appreciate the advise. Thanks for it!

Or more. The second stage my need it more often, and this is a quote from the company I bought mine from not trying to start a fire here so take it for what it is worth:

"The factory life time parts warranty is a joke because they change out $2.00 worth of O-rings that aren't bad anyway and charge you $40.00 to $60.00 in labor. Then the $9.00 per hour technician takes twenty minutes to rebuild it if he's slow. When the dust has settled you get charged $60.00 for a free life time warranty. The shop pays out $3.00 in labor and $2.00 in soft parts. They make $55.00 in twenty minutes. Then they lock you in every year to get servicing or your, free life time warranty is not valid. It's a scam.

I'm not saying that regular maintenance shouldn’t be done but it is also dependent on what type of regulator and how much it is used and maintained. I used to dive with Poseidon Regulators and they were a real nightmare for maintenance and very expensive to repair.

That is one of the beauties of the dry sealed system. I know of one cave diver who has broken almost every depth and distance record available. He probably does 500 to 600 dives a year if not more. He said he has not serviced one of his Apeks DS4 in over 13 years. Since it is completely sealed he just rinses it off and puts it away.

Basically you would have better service that is cheaper if you just sent the regulator to a repair shop that worked on Apeks and forget about the dealer free life time parts warranty".

yeah... I hear wat you're saying, and I do in principal agree. I don't pretend to know anything about the internal workings of a regulator be it 1st or the 2nd stage, but the general understanding I manage to get from asking is that they usually haven't much to change other than O-rings and making sure its put back properly to the correct tolerances. Unless you drop it, smack it or dunk it in water without remembering to screw in the dustcap, it should be fine for quite a while.

But where I'm at, living in the tropics, it can get really hot, and my understanding is that the chances of the diaphragm in the 1st stage has a pretty high chance of de-forming if we tend to forget to keep it in the shade. Anyway from what I hear about your labour charges, we pay about 25% more than you do and we've only got a 1 year warranty, which eventually works out to cost more than a pretty penny if we follow their guidelines (which we have no incentive for).

So I guess I'll take a wait and see approach for the first couple of years before making my run to the service station. :D

serrada:
Or more. The second stage my need it more often, and this is a quote from the company I bought mine from not trying to start a fire here so take it for what it is worth:

"The factory life time parts warranty is a joke because they change out $2.00 worth of O-rings <<Most all are now using Viton orings that cost more than 2 bucks plus the seat which are specific to brand product that are more expensive than orings v=bh far>>>that aren't bad anyway and charge you $40.00 to $60.00 in labor. Then the $9.00 per hour technician takes twenty minutes to rebuild it if he's slow.<<If he is fast and doing a good job even the easiest regulator will take 45 mins>>> When the dust has settled you get charged $60.00 for a free life time warranty. The shop pays out $3.00 in labor and $2.00 in soft parts. They make $55.00 in twenty minutes. Then they lock you in every year to get servicing or your, free life time warranty is not valid. It's a scam. <<Not if done properly it isn't>>>

I'm not saying that regular maintenance shouldn’t be done but it is also dependent on what type of regulator and how much it is used and maintained. I used to dive with Poseidon Regulators and they were a real nightmare for maintenance and very expensive to repair.

That is one of the beauties of the dry sealed system. I know of one cave diver who has broken almost every depth and distance record available. He probably does 500 to 600 dives a year if not more. He said he has not serviced one of his Apeks DS4 in over 13 years. Since it is completely sealed he just rinses it off and puts it away.

<<<Who?, it would surprise me>>>

Basically you would have better service that is cheaper if you just sent the regulator to a repair shop that worked on Apeks and forget about the dealer free life time parts warranty".

My comments in red...:D

Fire :D Like I said take it for what it's worth. I'd think like I do with politics the true is some ware in between. And I'd trust Cerich opinion more so then the half price eBay Apeks dealer.

One recomendation that I have not seen so far is the quality of local support for a given brand. I have two scuba pro regs that work great but when I wanted to get new ones, I choose Oceanic over Scuba Pro due to dealor support.

Over the years my local SP shop had grown into rather ho-hum service, with a big price tag to boot. I met a great small local instructor / commercial diver/ dealer that does all his own maintainence work. After dealing with him on some other items I went with the person that I know will help me when I have a problem and will stand behind the product. He sells Oceanic and I have been very happy with my Delta 4s. As far as the reports of poor quality, I've heard the stories but have not experienced any problems. My oceanic regs are well made for modern style regs. They're probably not as tough as my old SP G250 but they breath a lot better and are more comfortable to use. Scuba Pro has lately had their ups and downs as well, maybe even more than Oceanic. Also, I can't speak for the tech crowd as I'm simply a serious recreational diver. I'm too old and busy to make this stuff an obssession.

The bottom line:
My argument would be to pick the local dealer you feel will give you the best support and service and go with that product.

Clyderyde

Has anyone had any experience with the Delta4/FDX10 in colder waters ?

I had ordered a Zeagle ZX/50D but its been on back order for 2 weeks now with no sign its going to arrive before i need it - so I'm thinking of swapping it out for the Delta4/FDX10.

Some others here have written about the delta4's in cold water situations. A quick search should turn them up real quick, but in general, they say it works great in cold water.

cpe111:
I had ordered a Zeagle ZX/50D but its been on back order for 2 weeks now with no sign its going to arrive before i need it

How about the ZX/Flathead VI? You can get one inexpensive on the internet. Find the cheapest price on the net and call Scubatoys.com and see how close they can come to it. You might be surprised and you'll get the full warranty.:wink:

The Oceanic is a great regulator I tried one two weeks ago and it was quite comfortable. Do a search about the cold water though. Also, PM cerich from Oceanic and discuss your type of coldwater diving.

serrada:
How about the ZX/Flathead VI? You can get one inexpensive on the internet. Find the cheapest price on the net and call Scubatoys.com and see how close they can come to it. You might be surprised and you'll get the full warranty.:wink:

The Oceanic is a great regulator I tried one two weeks ago and it was quite comfortable. Do a search about the cold water though. Also, PM cerich from Oceanic and discuss your type of coldwater diving.

Delta 4 FDX10 is fine for cold, no worries.

Temp down in the 30's, fresh and salt water, average 80ft, and no change in performance. Breathes nice and easy, shallow or deep. No frozen reg or freeflows yet. Ask me a year from now.

Back
Top Bottom