Delta 4 vs Delta 4.1 vs EOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njclifford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,

in Australia, it seems we have not got the 4.1 in the LDS yet... what is the differences between the Delta 4 and 4.1... it seems the removal of the swivel? Why was this done?

Also, is the EOS worth the extra money?

Thanks

Nick

I have dove with both the Delta 4 (my previous reg) and the EOS (my current reg). My diving is pretty varied, from lots of instruction in moderately shallow water to much deeper dives, but mostly colder water and even ice diving this winter. Both regs are incredible regs and when I replaced my Delta 4 with the EOS, I had no nervousness about passing my Delta 4 on to my 14 yo daughter. In fact, my wife now dives with the Hollis 212 / DC 1 which is a very similar second stage (if not the same) with Hollis' DC 1 first stage. I have no hesitation in recommending the Delta 4 and if you have the extra cash, the EOS is that much better. I used more than a few regulators too, and I have never felt the comfort and confidence of the Oceanic regs - with the others, there's always been 'one thing I would change' or 'one thing I don't like'.

In another post, Doug alluded that the Delta 4.1 is cosmetic change (brushed metal to black impact plastic ring) + no swivel. I personally love the swivel, the reg does not pull or twist when I'm demostating skills like equipment re & re underwater to my students. I am waiting patiently for Oceanic and/or Hollis to release the swivel as an accessory so I can add it to my wife's 212.

I don't think you'll see the swivel hose being offered separately. From what I am told, the reason that the swivel is now available only on the EOS is that Oceanic licensed the swivel from another manufacturer for use on one regulator only. When they put it on the EOS, they had to take it off of the Delta 4. I'm told we can't order swivel hoses for the Delta 4 as a result of that.

I don't think you'll see the swivel hose being offered separately. From what I am told, the reason that the swivel is now available only on the EOS is that Oceanic licensed the swivel from another manufacturer for use on one regulator only. When they put it on the EOS, they had to take it off of the Delta 4. I'm told we can't order swivel hoses for the Delta 4 as a result of that.

Before going to the long hose on my GT3 I had a Atomic swivel on the reg. It worked well. Check out Atomic, they have the hose for you.

The delta 4 (with the swivel) used to the Oceanic's top of the line regulator. Now the EOS has assumed that position. I guess I would consider the Delta 4 to be higher-end. The FDX10 first stage is a great performer and the same first stage as the EOS. The Delta 4 (original with swivel) was chosen by NOAA as their cold water reg so that says a lot.
It's unfortunate that they dont have the swivel on the Delta 4 but it's still a good reg.
This WAS my favorite reg - even compared to my Apeks Tungsten which costs a whole lot more - until the EOS came out. Now I prefer the EOS. It's just a little easier to breathe. My daughter uses the Delta 4 now.
I'd say if you can swing the extra couple bucks, get the EOS.

Yeah but you can get some nice deals on the Delta 4 since the swivel has been removed. Without the swivel it is easier to convert to long hose or put a 90* elbow on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom