Delta 4 FDX 10 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps a manufacturer who realized there is demand for their products outside of the "authorized" distribution channels and therefore makes a wider announcement when their quality control procedures fail resulting in defective products reaching consumers. Unless, perhaps, you just did not realize that any of your product was reaching consumers through other than authorized channels.:popcorn:

:shakehead:Guess you have no clue on how the world works.:eyebrow:
No manufacturar will call any NON dealer for a recall.:no:
Most and even more and more to day will NOT sell parts to the public/non dealers.
And why not.:confused:
Simple YOU will sue them if YOU ******** up.

BTW this recall was made public on the Oceanic website,so the [-]moron[/-]non dealer could have known,IF he took the trouble to inform himself.

:shakehead:Guess you have no clue on how the world works.:eyebrow:
No manufacturar will call any NON dealer for a recall.:no:
Most and even more and more to day will NOT sell parts to the public/non dealers.
And why not.:confused:
Simple YOU will sue them if YOU ******** up.

BTW this recall was made public on the Oceanic website,so the [-]moron[/-]non dealer could have known,IF he took the trouble to inform himself.

Parts are sold every day to "unauthorized" customers. Just do a search on this board and read about all the legal actions generated by those sales.

I would not expect a mfgr to "call" other dealers. But I would expect other means of notification for such a non-trivial problem. Their own public website is a good start but notification on boards like this might be appropriate. Or does it take a CPSC action before appropriate notification of a potentially dangerous defect can be made with the clear intention of contacting all effected users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts are sold every day to "unauthorized" customers. Just do ma search on this board and read about all the legal actions generated by those sales.

I would not expect a mfgr to "call" other dealers. But I would expect other means of notification for such a non-trivial problem. Their own public website is a good start but notification on boards like this might be appropriate. Or does it take a CPSC action before appropriate notification of a potentially dangerous defect can be made with the clear intention of contacting all effected users.

IIRC Oceanic DID annouche that recall on this board.But you'll have to do a :search:

BTW as I recall you where the one who was trying to get your hands on some Oceanic parts,a couple of weeks ago.And could not get them.IMO that's just the way it's gonna be all over the industry in the forseeable future. No more sales to the public.

Check the sticky in this forum. I assure you that we take actions well above and beyond those required by our participation with the CPSC. My original point was that in such an event - our dealers know and have all of the tools that they need to handle the situation - immediately. Those that purchased parts through an non-authorized source... they may hear about it eventually one way or another. Or not.

IIRC Oceanic DID annouche that recall on this board.But you'll have to do a :search:

BTW as I recall you where the one who was trying to get your hands on some Oceanic parts,a couple of weeks ago.And could not get them.IMO that's just the way it's gonna be all over the industry in the forseeable future. No more sales to the public.

No, I dive Scubapro regs. Their parts seem to be more readily available, probably just because they are so much larger an operation. It sure is not that they offer any better customer (diver) service than Oceanic. But I do try to keep an eye on parts availability from many manufacturers and did comment and do a little follow-up when postings on TDS and this board seemed to indicate reduced availability of Oceanic parts. I suspect that reduction in parts availability was precipitated by the defective parts that apparently found their way into new regulators and service kits. I only hope it is a temporary change.

No, I dive Scubapro regs. Their parts seem to be more readily available, probably just because they are so much larger an operation. It sure is not that they offer any better customer (diver) service than Oceanic. But I do try to keep an eye on parts availability from many manufacturers and did comment and do a little follow-up when postings on TDS and this board seemed to indicate reduced availability of Oceanic parts. I suspect that reduction in parts availability was precipitated by the defective parts that apparently found their way into new regulators and service kits. I only hope it is a temporary change.

To be honest, I know of no shortage of Oceanic parts. Even in the midst of a recent recall, Oceanic had 100% delivery of repair kits and other parts, subject to individual parts that might have been temporarily on back-order.

The posts you make reference to reflect an individual or individuals who claim to have lost access to an Oceanic parts supply. It appeared to simply be a case of a local dealer who had previously sold parts now being unwilling to continue the practice. Oceanic parts are available from various places. It simply requires a little bit of searching to obtain them.

While my status as a dealer may make me slightly biased toward them, I would have to say that I have dealt with no company that has a more solid customer service program. As a dealer, I have never made a customer service request that they didn't honor.....even though many requests were beyond their STATED terms. Now, as to the issue of selling parts directly to consumers, I expect that is a policy they will not change.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I'm not talking about any shortage coming into the distribution networks. But down at the customer/diver end, a shortage occurred when Scubatoys cut off supplies to its customers. Initially, I was not sure what the problem was as Scubatoys had also cut off supplies of Zeagle parts, ostensibly due to liability issues, so I was a bit concerned that Scubatoys was backing out of supplying service parts for all regulators they sell. Then they withdrew from selling Oceanic parts, again, the liability problem. Turned out the Zeagle hiccup was apparently a misunderstanding that has been corrected. And I'm surmising that the Oceanic withdrawal is due to the defective seats problem and hopefully will also be temporary.

My greatest disappoint with scuba is the problems and maneuvers required to obtain service parts for regulators. I agree fully, that with a bit of effort, divers can eventually find sources for the parts they seek. But it can be a very frustrating nut roll. So when a source is terminated, I like to find out what is going on and bring it to the attention of other concerned divers.

I also agree that Oceanic has established a reputation for great service. But I am quite sure that the loss of the sale of Oceanic parts from Scubatoys was not a unilateral Scubatoys action. When I asked, Scubatoy's answer was a brief statement of "liability" and Oceanic did not answer.

I do not accept any manufacturer's written or "wink, nod" policy (which ever it might be) that parts can not be sold to divers. I don't think I ever will. I believe that policy will change when it causes them enough problem and loss.

To be honest, I know of no shortage of Oceanic parts. Even in the midst of a recent recall, Oceanic had 100% delivery of repair kits and other parts, subject to individual parts that might have been temporarily on back-order.

The posts you make reference to reflect an individual or individuals who claim to have lost access to an Oceanic parts supply. It appeared to simply be a case of a local dealer who had previously sold parts now being unwilling to continue the practice. Oceanic parts are available from various places. It simply requires a little bit of searching to obtain them.

While my status as a dealer may make me slightly biased toward them, I would have to say that I have dealt with no company that has a more solid customer service program. As a dealer, I have never made a customer service request that they didn't honor.....even though many requests were beyond their STATED terms. Now, as to the issue of selling parts directly to consumers, I expect that is a policy they will not change.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I'm not talking about any shortage coming into the distribution networks. But down at the customer/diver end, a shortage occurred when Scubatoys cut off supplies to its customers. Initially, I was not sure what the problem was as Scubatoys had also cut off supplies of Zeagle parts, ostensibly due to liability issues, so I was a bit concerned that Scubatoys was backing out of supplying service parts for all regulators they sell. Then they withdrew from selling Oceanic parts, again, the liability problem. Turned out the Zeagle hiccup was apparently a misunderstanding that has been corrected. And I'm surmising that the Oceanic withdrawal is due to the defective seats problem and hopefully will also be temporary.

My greatest disappoint with scuba is the problems and maneuvers required to obtain service parts for regulators. I agree fully, that with a bit of effort, divers can eventually find sources for the parts they seek. But it can be a very frustrating nut roll. So when a source is terminated, I like to find out what is going on and bring it to the attention of other concerned divers.

I also agree that Oceanic has established a reputation for great service. But I am quite sure that the loss of the sale of Oceanic parts from Scubatoys was not a unilateral Scubatoys action. When I asked, Scubatoy's answer was a brief statement of "liability" and Oceanic did not answer.

I do not accept any manufacturer's written or "wink, nod" policy (which ever it might be) that parts can not be sold to divers. I don't think I ever will. I believe that policy will change when it causes them enough problem and loss.

The fact that a single dealer decides to change their policy about the sale of parts, of any brand, does not represent any evidence that there has been a change in any supplier policy. Simply put, it only represents a decision by that single supplier. In fact, I suspect that most of the scuba manufacturers don't even have an established policy on the issue. There are other dealers...in fact, a lot of them for every brand. They each have their own policy on the sale of repair parts; and them implement those policies for their own reasons.

Now, I have had customers call me about parts for various regulator brands that I don't stock and from manufacturers with which I do no business. In a couple of cases, they lamented about how difficult it is to obtain parts. I don't understand this. Even prior to opening my own scuba store, before the internet was full of chat boards like this one, I was able to locate regulator repair parts; for a number of brands. Now, it took a LITTLE bit of searching, but they were around.

Added Note: I expect it is less the lack of parts as it is the price of those parts that anger many people. There is thread after thread on various boards asking about Apeks parts. We receive many, many desperate calls looking for them. Fewer actually pull the trigger and buy them. I am assuming that the price is the issue.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Sorry for my hijack in the previous post in the Oceanic forum. If we want to discuss the general subject of availability of parts further, maybe we should take it to a different thread.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Back
Top Bottom