Delta 4 FDX 10 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should phone Oceanic customer service and get this regulator to them for a look. Sounds like a "crown"/hard seat issue to me.

Thanks for the suggestion Phil. I am definitely having a hard time believing the explanation the shop is giving me. If this solution the shop came up with doesn't work I will probably do that.

Well, it seems the shop didn't do what they said they would and talk to Oceanic.

I talked to the Dive Safety Officer at work and he shared my skepticism about the shop's solution so we called Oceanic rather than having me dive test it.

The Oceanic tech's theory was basically what Phil described, nothing like what the shop proposed, and the tech asked me to send the regulator back to them to be fixed. Looks like the problem should be taken care of.

I'd like to give a big thanks to the Oceanic tech (Mark) we dealt with.

Last edited:
So if the shop is not an oceanic dealer, where are they getting the service parts? Do they have the right tools to work on the Oceanic regs? There are a couple specialize tools needed to get some parts in and out of the first stage, which can at least make the work a little more difficult.
Please post an update once you have it back from Oceanic so we can all know what the problem was - just in case this shows up for someone else.

I think Oceanic should get some serious props for servicing a regulator which was serviced at a non-authorized dealer (which caused an issue). This sort of understanding and 'going the extra mile' is one of the main reasons I dive with Oceanic gear...

So if the shop is not an oceanic dealer, where are they getting the service parts?

I don't know where they got them, but they did use the real Oceanic service kits.

One of the things this shop does when they service a regulator is to return all the old parts along with the packaging of the service kits to prove they actually did the work and it was the Oceanic kit packaging they gave me when they returned it to me.

Hopefully, Oceanic will give me a post-mortem when they fix it so that I find out what the issue was.

I think Oceanic should get some serious props for servicing a regulator which was serviced at a non-authorized dealer (which caused an issue). This sort of understanding and 'going the extra mile' is one of the main reasons I dive with Oceanic gear...

Agreed, they've been very good, and I love all the Oceanic gear I've got.

I don't know where they got them, but they did use the real Oceanic service kits.

Oceanic and others takes quite a bit of flack for our policies to only provide parts through authorized dealers - but here is a great example why. In addition to the affected serial number range of our FDX-10/CDX-5 recall - service kits were suspect as well, but hard to identify specifically as they are not, or were not at the time, tracked by serial number or manf. date/lot code. We contacted all of our dealers - worldwide - and replaced each and every one of them. We included in the recall - both the affected serial numbers, and any reg that was serviced in given time frame.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what is the root cause of your problem - we'll know more when we get the reg here. But... let's assume that the part was affected, or a procedural change was made... who would have communicated this to the non-authorized dealer?

Now, I'm not saying that this is what is the root cause of your problem - we'll know more when we get the reg here. But... let's assume that the part was affected, or a procedural change was made... who would have communicated this to the non-authorized dealer?

Well, even if that turns out not to be the cause, let's just say I've learned my lesson about getting it serviced at a non-authorized dealer. It would have been worth driving the extra 15 miles to take it to the Oceanic dealer. At the very least, the authorized dealer would have seen a few of them on his bench before.

I fell for the shop saying, "I can do it no problem, all regulators are basically the same on the inside." Others hopefully can learn from my mistake.

Perhaps a manufacturer who realized there is demand for their products outside of the "authorized" distribution channels and therefore makes a wider announcement when their quality control procedures fail resulting in defective products reaching consumers. Unless, perhaps, you just did not realize that any of your product was reaching consumers through other than authorized channels.:popcorn:

Just to follow up. I got the regulator back from Oceanic today. Unfortunately, they did not tell me what was actually wrong with it but it does seem to be fixed.

Thanks to Oceanic for their excellent service.

Back
Top Bottom