Defining visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Interesting question from my daughter filling her dive log after a dive.

She asked me what the visibility was today and I told her 30 feet ish.

She then asked me how I determined that - I was stumped - I just said I thought I could clearly make out stuff at 30 feet or so away.

Is there an actual technical definition of visibility?

I'm attaching a picture from the dive.

Attachments

• DSCI2495.JPG
    DSCI2495.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 88
I struggle with judging distance, so i think “how many of me would it take to get to the furthest I can see?” Even then dive buddies will differ with me. Now, if I look under me and can’t see the tips of my feet? Well, that’s easier. I always get a kick when some tells me a distance that doesn’t end in a 0, as in 23’ vis.

Now, to answer your question, none that I know of.

Erik

In the UK we have some ‘challenging’ conditions on occasion.

I’ve previously written down:
“Computer screen hazy with low viz”

And…

“Couldn’t see computer screen until arm bent”

Most of the time viz is 2-3m, I can buddy dive with 3-4 others but more than this Diver1 can’t see Diver5 etc.

If I’m following behind you and I can see your bubbles I’m calling that 2m /6ft viz

If I can see the diver ahead of you then that’s another 2m/6ft etc etc.

Another trick is to check depth and look to the surface, what can you see?

I know what a dumb question - I am with you on the depth thing (my daughter is in college to be an engineer so she is having some fun questioning my 35 year old engineering analysis)

But - We dove in 80 foot of water and cold see the bottom clearly at 40-50 feet down as we dropped - I think this is my new technical definition.

Thanks for all the responses - she laughed at the just guessed - she told me that I is what I was doing!.

Most of the time I use my depth gauge on my computer. I check the depth when I can see detail on the bottom, then check again when I get there. With low viz, I look at (look for??) other divers. if I'm 1m behind her fins, and I can't make out her mask strap 3m viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom