Defining Science diving and volunteer opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is, they're called volunteer divers. And their numbers are made up of very diverse backgrounds.

…So, I hope we will get some responses here. If you know of legitimate opportunities, please list them here and describe them as you know them. Be prepared for some discussion. For example, if you list something that someone else thinks is a scam, that will need to be discussed.

The root problem is it requires extraordinary vigilance to prevent any subsidized activity from becoming, at least partly, a scam. It soon becomes an argument between which may be less corrupted than another. I understand that it is fair and reasonable to offer free boat rides (or whatever) in exchange for volunteer labor. The difficulty is preventing it from becoming a subsidized holiday with rapidly diminishing return to the stated objective.

Folks, let's remember that the purpose of this project is to define categories in a meaningful way so that one can tell the difference. The point is to be able to categorize something. It will be meaningless if we define two categories: 1) true science and 2) things that are not worthy to spit upon.

Oh, you mean like US Navy Master Diver and PADI/NAUI/SDI/etc Master Scuba Diver.

I consider the cards are really just bragging rights and an extra way for AAUS to collect a small fee...

I see. Just like every other merit badge sold by recreational scuba training organizations.

Aside from this bit of cynicism, I encourage divers to seek functional objectives underwater. Figuring out ways to overcome constraints to accomplish an underwater task makes anyone a better diver.

Wonderful, we've all learned the difference between sci divers as opposed to volunteers. Can we get back to what Boulderjohn was trying to accomplish? 5 pages of posts on what makes a sci diver a sci diver is quite enough.

The best volunteer service program for divers in the aid of other divers, with the potential for meeting & working with other Scientific Divers/Marine Biologists:

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom