Defective pony, what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ob1Stogie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I took my 13cf pony in to get hydroed after about 10 years of no use. It came back condemned. Not for oxidation or for rust, but for a large ding at the mouth of the tank, on the rim above the threads.

Now, you can't see the ding with the valve on it. So, I said they must have dropped my tank with the valve off and made the ding. The LDS sends the tanks out for hydro and they are waiting for word back from them.

Needless to say, I am very unhappy. There is no possible way I could have made the dent in the tank because I have never taken the valve off. Plus, I don't even think it would hold air because the ding is across the surface of the lip.

The LDS is Sports Chalet, and I'll let you know what happens.

They called right after I made the above post.

1. They admit (Sports Chalet) to not taking the valve off at the store, they sent it whole to the hydro shop. The hydro shop is saying that when they took the valve off, the ding was already there (even though it took THREE WEEKS to get my tank back!).

2. They are basically saying I am screwed. Somehow, when I bought the tank the ding was already there, even though I bought it new.

I just got off the phone, again, with AJ at Sports Chalet and they are going to sell me a new 13cf pony for "cost" of $50.00. Since the best price I could find was about $83 plus shipping from Scuba Toys, this is a good deal and a OK ending to a crappy event.

Bottom line, before you buy that new tank, take the valve off and make sure it's perfect!

man at leats you got a new tank less the cost of a hydro get them to throw a fill & vis then you done good~!

I ordered a 40 cu ft deco bottle once and it arrived new in the box with a ding very similar to what you describe. As near as I could determine this damage was inflicted by the end of the stem on the valve that was packed in the box with the tank. I returned the tank as it was not something I felt would/should pass a VIP. Assuming the hydro test facility did not damage the tank (and I really doubt they did damage it) I suspect that is how the ding may have occurred in your tank. This would mean that it was damaged in shipping to the originial sales point and they then assembled (and VIP'd) the tank before selling it to you.

$50.00 for a new tank is possibly a "fair" arrangement to replace your 10 year old tank, provided you are not charged for the hydro and VIP on your old tank, but to be honest they probably should not charge you at all for the new tank as it was most likely their error in VIP'ing and selling the dinged tank in the first place.

Since the event with my 40, I have always been extremely careful when shipping tanks to ensure the stem is not mounted on the valve in shipping, that the valve is carefully packed and padded, and that it is shipped in the box at the base of the tank, not the neck.

I wonder if this has something to do with the hydro tester that Sport Chalet uses (or is it internal at one of their SoCal stores?). I took two OMS 46 cu ft bottles in there to get hydro'ed and they were sent back a week later-untouched. When the manager called down to whomever, they said they couldn't do them because they had nitrox stickers on them. I told them that I'd do the oxygen cleaning or have someone else do it if they were worried about it, I just needed them hydro'ed. It didn't matter to them, they wouldn't even touch them. Now I just use a local fire extinguisher company for all of my hydros.

A single pony bottle will give you enough time at 250 to say the Lord’s Prayer.
Mike Hanna

Leftwinger16:
On another note...What is a 13cf pony good for anyway?

For someone with a good SAC...

BTW, the ding was substantial, more of a chunk. Since 90% of my dives are less than 70 ftsw (and open water dives to boot), a 13 cube tank is plenty of air to get me to the surface with a safety stop in the event of a primary failure. Personally, I am suprised the tank held air due to the depth of the "ding". Those O rings really do seal very well.

Plus, they did not charge me for the hydro on the defective tank and I am sure I'll get a free VIP and fill (they fill pony tanks for free regardless).

It sounds like your LDS took care of you. Paying $50 for a new pony, minus the cost of the hydro and VIP you did not have to pay on your old pony, you got the new pony for about $15. Great deal. And a old 13 cu ft pony makes a great lamp.

Back
Top Bottom