Deepstop on Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With Suunto computers, the deep stops are *not* required; you are not penalized at all for not making them. Pretty much, all the deep stops setting gives you is a nice little stop depth suggestion with a one or two minute countdown timer (which disappears if you don't stop there). It *is* a very rudimentary algorithm, of course, but it can be convenient for divers who plan more loosely than others.

By the way, regarding deep stops, I found several of the deep stop papers available in the Rubicon Research Repository (especially the ones from 2007) to be quite interesting.

Are you interested in making a couple of dives in Toledo in a few weeks---either in between Christmas & New Years or after THE ball game???...If so, let me know...........Might do the Turbine Channels if they're not generating...........GEAUX TIGERS...........

Rubicon Research Repository are very intersting. For the moment, I can read only with abstracts.

You don't think that the deep stop is usefull for the diving in 200 feet with air?

I think if you're going to 200 ft (about 62 meters) on air, you should use more than the suunto recreational dive computers. You should have training in deco diving, and either use tables or planning software that is designed to plan required deco dives. The suunto computer, like all recreational computers, is designed for NDL diving and presents deco information for unexpected slight deco events. The idea of deep stops in rec, NDL diving is somewhat recent, loosely based on the idea of pausing for a few minute at 1/2 your maximum depth, and is thought to be helpful in off gassing. But, it has little to do with the required deep stops that you would encounter in a 200 ft dive.

Once you get the deco training that you NEED to be safe diving this deep, you'll probably have a much better understanding of why rec computers are not appropriate for this.

You don't think that the deep stop is usefull for the diving in 200 feet with air?
Making deep stops and slow ascents is a great idea.

Having an arbitrary deep stop timer in the computer (that doesn't affect the decompression calculations at all) may or may not be such a great idea.

They are two different things.

Charlie Allen

p.s. I'll ignore for this discussion whether or not 200' on air is a good idea.

I have a suunto D9, it is not a recreational dive computer, but the system is RGBM and is very close to recreational dive computer Mosquito. In Switzerland, the table Bühlmann is very popular for deep diving with decompression, but it is less strict than RGBM. A deep stop is a new system and we don't yet know that is a good idea.

We dive sometimes to 200 feet to explore picturesque walls in deep lakes with black very clear water.

The D9 certainly a step up from the typical rec/nitrox dive computer. (Yes I own one) It is capable of 3 preprogramed Nitrox mixes, so it can handle some technical diving. It is not trimix capable however, so I question using it for 200 ft dives.

There is some good information available on the net.
I suggest you search Bruce Weinke RGBM and
Richard Pyle Deep stops

You'll find lots of information on both.

Mike D

There was a thread on this board several years ago relating to the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom