Deepstop on Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On Suunto, there is a "Deepstop", it explains Deepstop is used for deep dive with deep decompression stop during 1 or 2 minutes, is Deepstop interesting or useless for deep dive?

On Suunto, there is a "Deepstop", it explains Deepstop is used for deep dive with deep decompression stop during 1 or 2 minutes, is Deepstop interessant or useless for deep dive?

interessant? What are you asking?

I think he's asking whether it's a useful feature or not.

My diving philosophy is that I set my profile and the computer tracks loading.

This is particularly true for NDL or no-stop diving where the computer doesn't show any required decompression stops. This means that I can directly ascend to the surface without violating the model limits, but this doesn't mean that's what I HAVE to do. I prefer to make some deep stops on the way back up.

Having the computer artificially and arbitrarily add them in as a required stop IMO doesn't make sense ---- unless you have a dive philosophy of just blindly doing what your computer tells you.

Perhaps this sounds like a strangely philosophical answer to a simple question, but whether or not this deep stop feature is at all useful really does depend upon how you use the computer.

Charlie Allen

Having the computer artificially and arbitrarily add them in as a required stop IMO doesn't make sense ---- unless you have a dive philosophy of just blindly doing what your computer tells you.
With Suunto computers, the deep stops are *not* required; you are not penalized at all for not making them. Pretty much, all the deep stops setting gives you is a nice little stop depth suggestion with a one or two minute countdown timer (which disappears if you don't stop there). It *is* a very rudimentary algorithm, of course, but it can be convenient for divers who plan more loosely than others.

By the way, regarding deep stops, I found several of the deep stop papers available in the Rubicon Research Repository (especially the ones from 2007) to be quite interesting.

With Suunto computers, the deep stops are *not* required; you are not penalized at all for not making them. Pretty much, all the deep stops setting gives you is a nice little stop depth suggestion with a one or two minute countdown timer (which disappears if you don't stop there). It *is* a very rudimentary algorithm, of course, but it can be convenient for divers who plan more loosely than others.

By the way, regarding deep stops, I found several of the deep stop papers available in the Rubicon Research Repository (especially the ones from 2007) to be quite interesting.
Rubicon Research Repository are very intersting. For the moment, I can read only with abstracts.

You don't think that the deep stop is usefull for the diving in 200 feet with air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom