Deepblu COSMIQ+ users' experiences please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Cosmiq in late '21 and first used it in January '22, then not again until summer. I had around twenty dives on it when I looked at the log and it said that I had done a dive to over 1200 feet! I figured that it was not to be trusted, so I rented a computer for the duration of my trip. On return I got in touch with them and they sent me a new one. I didn't use that one at all until this past June when, after only nine dives it (the new one) showed that I had done a dive to over 1200 feet. I simply don't trust Cosmiqs at all any more.

I bought a Cosmiq in late '21 and first used it in January '22, then not again until summer. I had around twenty dives on it when I looked at the log and it said that I had done a dive to over 1200 feet! I figured that it was not to be trusted, so I rented a computer for the duration of my trip. On return I got in touch with them and they sent me a new one. I didn't use that one at all until this past June when, after only nine dives it (the new one) showed that I had done a dive to over 1200 feet. I simply don't trust Cosmiqs at all any more.
That would certainly make you lose faith. That said, mine seems to work fine just ultra-conservative at anything below recreational depth. Funky in the way the algorithm works as it appears reasonably normal at recreational depths, as compared to other computers, but ultra-conservative deeper.

Hello, I can't tell you more than you already know about the Cosmiq algorithm, because it is proprietary and I have not put in the work to reverse engineer it. But, I will say that my experience with it is pretty consistent with yours.

I bought a Cosmiq as my first dive computer, and dived it a few dozen times alongside handful of consistent buddies. Between my main buddies, they were diving Aqualung i300C, Aqualung i450T, Shearwater Perdix, and Suunto Vyper Novo. On every occasion that an NDL was approached, it was my Cosmiq, which I configured in Progressive mode. I never exceed the NDL, but I distinctly recall a dive where we ascended from 95 feet when my Cosmiq reached an NDL of 2 minutes, and my buddy's Aqualung had 15 minutes. This was the second dive of the day, both dives on 32%.

After about 50 dives on the Cosmiq, I picked up a used Shearwater Teric, which I now use as my main dive computer. I still bring the Cosmiq along as a backup, but I leave it topside. I haven't had a failure on my Teric, but I have used the Cosmiq once when I left the Teric at home, and have lent it out a couple of times.

A friend of mine asked if I would recommend the Cosmiq. I told him no, it's too conservative and too annoying to use, and recommended a Shearwater Peregrine instead -- not having a proprietary, super-conservative algorithm is a big part of that. I stand by that recommendation, because he really likes his Peregrine. It does cost more though. At the price point of the Cosmiq, the Deep6 Excursion has a good reputation here, but I have not used one myself, so cannot speak to direct experience.
You nailed it. My experience exactly. It's not unsafe just weird.

Newly certified here - I use a Cosmiq Gen 5, I have no qualms about it but I’ll keep an eye out for any weird behavior. One LDS uses them for their new divers. I have 10 dives on mine.

It’s as simple as a computer gets, but it does need a bit of UX polish - the display does remind me of old G-Shock watches.

When I told them about the problem that I had with my first one, they did send me another. When I told them about the problem with the replacement that they sent me, they ultimately offered me a partial refund, and later offered me $250, which I grudgingly accepted (I felt that they owed me a full refund.) But they have never made good on the refund and they no longer answer my emails.

When I told them about the problem that I had with my first one, they did send me another. When I told them about the problem with the replacement that they sent me, they ultimately offered me a partial refund, and later offered me $250, which I grudgingly accepted (I felt that they owed me a full refund.) But they have never made good on the refund and they no longer answer my emails.
if that happens to me, it’s off to Shearwater and the Peregine I go.

Wow. That is egregiously bad customer support.

Back
Top Bottom