Deepblu Cosmiq+ first impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased Deepblu's Cosmiq+ as a secondary computer, mostly out of curiosity. I took it to Little Cayman to try it out.

The Good:
Extremely easy to set up (via bluetooth connection to your smart phone).
It will handle Nitrox mixes up to 40%
Depth and No Deco numbers are large and easy to read.
The social media integration adds a unique dimension and there does seem to be a growing community

The Needs Improvement
The other numbers are quite small, and harder for my old eyes to make out.
The safety stop timer is very difficult to see at 15' in clear water on a sunny day.
The social media integration has some bugs and needs refinement. You can download your dives straight to the app, and despite dives being date and time stamped, they're entered into your log in order of posting rather than by actual date/time.
Date/time zones need to be corrected in some cases. Case in point: Cayman Islands, while technically part of the UK, are not England. Dives logged should not be time stamped based on GMT.

I look forward to see how the programming and hardware gets refined in future iterations, but for now, I'm glad I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the computer.

Last edited:
I took my new Cosmiq+ to Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) and did 14 dives with it. I am a recreational diver, so I am okay with its features.

I agree with Ballast points above.
The two biggest problems that I had with Cosmiq+ is that (a) it is difficult to see its screen under water on a sunny day and (b) the safety stop timer is even more difficult to see because the digits are very tiny. I had to use my had to cover the screen from the light just to see something. I am glad that I had my Oceanic Geo 2 dive computer, as its screen was perfect. Please see attached photo, which, although was taken not under water, but indicates what you could expect to see underwater. This is how bad it is.
IMG_3330.JPG

Entering dive logs, which are not in their database, was a painful and time-consuming exercise. I think they need to add a feature of opening a dive log before an actual dive. For example, when you arrive to a dive site, you should be able to 'register' a new dive site by pressing the 'location' button in the App, which will enter GPS coordinates of the site, then you enter the dive site, just before or after the dive.

Also, Cosmiq+ algorithm is very conservative. In a Progressive mode, it is probably 10-15% more conservative than Oceanic DSAT algorithm.

Overall, I am not happy with this purchase, and I could not recommend it.

As a recreational diver I used it in Miyakojima for a total of six dives, some at depth limit for my level. I'm far from an expert so for my needs it was perfect. I didn't encounter any problem and I particularly appreciated the backlit screen while diving inside caves/tunnels. I didn't notice the underwater/sun problem while diving (which is good I think) but next time I will pay more attention to it.
I didn't have probs with the Cosmiq+ being conservative but again I didn't push it to the limits.
The social media part is fun, but of course needs some fixes, Laval point about GPS coordinated before entering the dive is spot on.
For what type of diver I am, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Looks like it would make a pretty good back-up computer for a Perdix if someone doesn't want to drop the coin on second Perdix.

I think it's popularity will kind of dictate how long it will last though. I feel like Shearwater is quickly dominating both the tec and rec market.

Looks like it would make a pretty good back-up computer for a Perdix if someone doesn't want to drop the coin on second Perdix.
What is it using for a deco algorithm?

I think it's popularity will kind of dictate how long it will last though. I feel like Shearwater is quickly dominating both the tec and rec market.

I think, for about the same money, I'd rather have a Geo, like @Laval, as a backup to a Perdix.

It will be interesting to see how long the Cosmiq lasts, though. Especially if Deep6 ever releases the $139 computer they have promised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom