Deep6 Fin questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you happen to have an email or phone# for either of them? Still no response to the contact form. It hasn't been all that long but I'm hoping to solve my fin dilemma and take them on a local dive to work out trim before I go on a big dive trip this summer (in 44 days).
Hi, Just got back to the US but still out of office until early next week. I've been in the air for 24 hours and honestly when I got to the hotel I crashed. Doing the Long Beach show this weekend.

I just looked over this..I am not sure however what you need? I can't feel what you feel so..to a degree you need to tell me. You aren't out $100, if the fins you got you don't like the fit, return them and I will refund you or send you another size.

To your comments regarding our foot pocket being different than the DR, yeah it is, there is no "standard" for fin foot pockets like you see for foot sizes (and even then proper (read expensive) shoes actually have different lasts in the same size that will work better or worse for some people).

I think wearing the 13 running shoes you could go either way XL or XXL in general, however if your toes is hurting with the XL, let us send you a XXL to try, if that doesn't work, return them and we'll refund you

Best,

Chris

Awesome! Just what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the response, cerich. It really was quite reasonable time wise, I was just being impatient. Should I just send the XL's back to you in Forsyth, GA or is there some RMA procedure I need to follow?

Follow-up. I got the XL and 2XL. The XL are a hair too small for me and the 2XL's are probably too big for Andre the Giant. I sent the 2x's back and used the xl's for a week in Roatan.

They're a great fin but I do get some foot cramping occasionally. I'm going to either find a way to extend the spring straps about 1-2mm or find booties with a sole hard enough that it will not deform under the strength of the spring strap. That way the bootie should take the stress of the spring rather than my foot. I'm thinking of adding a small metal ring where the straps attach to the fins or maybe just stretch out the spring a small amount near the attachment point.

All in all, I really like the Deep6 fins. They move a lot of water and have just the perfect buoyancy for me in warm water. They are far easier to don and doff than any other fin I have used. The rubber handle on the back of the spring is well thought out. It's great for handling during don/doff, as well as carrying the fins or hanging them in a locker.

I was initially put off by the orange color just because I'm not a huge fan of orange except when paired with blue on Gators gear :wink:. I've come to like the orange fins a lot. They stand out on the boat and in the water. I did not see another pair in Roatan during the Scubaboard invasion so it was easy to tell which fins were mine on the boat!

Thanks for making a nice product, @cerich!

G1060121.jpg
G2905703.jpg
Follow-up. I got the XL and 2XL. The XL are a hair too small for me and the 2XL's are probably too big for Andre the Giant. I sent the 2x's back and used the xl's for a week in Roatan.

You're now talking to someone with bigger feet then Andre the Giant, lol.

I fell in love with the Deep6 fins in Roatan. I was able to acquire a pair while there, and loved them. I think my trim is spot on with the change in buoyancy between my Hollis F-1's and The Deep6's.

The XXL fit like a glove over my 3mm Henderson Aqua Lock booties. My booties are size 15, and I dive about 1/2 the time with Forth Element Thermocline Fin Socks. These fins rock, and believe me, if I didn't think they did, then I would say that too. Anyone who's in the market for a new pair of fins needs to check them out... give them a try... Heck I wish @cerich would have sent a few pairs down for trial runs... he would have acquired a lot of customers!

*Edit* I have no vested interest in Deep6... and nothing to gain or loose when I post!

I have both XL and XXL, same situation for me the XL were to small with the original spring strap so I put the longer ones from a pair of xxl F1's on those and now they don't crunch my toes. The XXL are huge, I think I used the slightly shorter take offs from the XL and put the attachment in one one side, they work well with my cold water gear and are my go to for any dive with hard entry/exit because the slide on and off so easily.

I have stiff XL and the soft XXL and found the same goldielocks situation with those, stiff was to stiff and the soft a little to soft so I modified the stiff to give a little more flex and now they are my go to fins and don't take such a heavy toll on me during long surface swims which are the norm for me, no applicable loss of frog kick performance with the mod. I find the soft XXL to perform the frog kick a bit less efficiently than the stiffer ones but on par with most other fins I have.

@cerich are the springs on the 2x's larger than the springs from xl? If so, can I buy a set of just springs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom