Deep Stops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Readers:

I will be away from a computer for a few days over Thanksgiving. Thus, no replies.

Micro Bubbles and Deep Stops

I think that it is wonderful observation that deep spots alleviate many problems some subjective associated with recreational diving. The deep stop observation , as far as I am aware, was first put forward by Richard Pyle in the late 1980s; he noted improvement in himself when he paused deep in the water column while collecting fish in Hawaii. The explanation for this improvement was speculated to be a reduction in growth of tissue micronuclei. This is quite straightforward and is related to surface tension effects.

Microbubbles in tissue are no doubt a real phenomena, because all liquids appear to have small microbubbles that can be observed when the liquids are subjected to reduced pressure. Tissues likewise will ebulate [boil] when depressurized. Knowing simply that some microbubbles are present does not tell you how many or what size. It is good for a qualitative interpretation but not necessarily a quantitative prediction. There are probably difference amongst diver with regard to size and number of microbubbles. This difference makes predictions difficult.

Doppler Bubble Detection

Decompression sickness is generally the result of extravascular bubbles. This is based on the observation that compression will alleviate symptoms of DCS and then reducing the pressure will prompt them to return in the same place. Vascular bubbles would be expected to move from capillaries and the pain not return to the same location.

Doppler-detectable bubbles are, however, vascular bubbles. This has probably something to do with the lack of good correlation between DCS and Doppler bubbles in a given individual.

Thus making a statement about spinal cord DCS and Doppler bubbles is a bit tenuous, in my opinion.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom