Deep Stops Increases DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that I portray it as fact. See my reply to Storker. I agree there is no evidence, but lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.

Except that there is "evidence of lack" as you put it. That is exactly why we are having these debates. A strategy that sounded like a good idea but never was (and still isn't) supported by any evidence is now being disproved by a growing body of emerging evidence.

"Maybe not according to his definition (whatever that is)"... Are you kidding?! Ross has posted definitions and graphs and I've posted definitions and profiles. I've compared the deep stop profiles between VPM-B and NEDU A2 and they are fundamentally different. You simply won't admit this obvious fact. See Mark Powell's response below.

We all admit that the deep stops produced by VPM are not exactly the same as those in the A2 profile. You need to get past this superficial evaluation. But the fundamental effect of doing the deep stops on patterns of tissue supersaturation are the same in both VPM and the navy profile as UWSOJOURNER has gone to considerable trouble to demonstrate. That pattern is the only plausible explanation for the worse outcomes in the navy deep stops profile. This is also discussed in that RBW post I linked you to earlier.

And there have been studies (by DAN) that support the opposite conclusion. Mark Powell writes in Deco for Divers:

No there have not. With all due respect to Mark who I know well and who did a good job summarising relevant concepts about decompression for his peer group (diving instructors), he got that one wrong. The DAN study he refers to was of single "half depth" type stops during surfacing from no decompression dives (less VGE when deeper safety stop was done). It did not investigate bubble model vs other prescriptions for ascent from decompression dives. Moreover, a second study not mentioned by Mark looking at exactly the same thing found no benefit from half depth stops in NDL dives. I can provide you with the papers if you wish to look at them for yourself.

Again, with no disrespect to Mark (and I am sure he would agree), the information you are getting here is a lot more cutting edge than you will find in "Deco for Divers". If he wrote the book again today I suspect you would find it interpreted this situation somewhat differently.

Simon M

I can write computer code and make things come out they way I want them to, however this does not mean that reality lines up with the computer model. The model must be verified with actual test data, not something pulled from one's head or other oriface.
"With four parameters, I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk"
-attributed to John von Neumann

A model which hasn't been verified with independent data is of limited value. Using a model outside the range of the data used for verification is very risky.

with no disrespect to Mark (and I am sure he would agree), the information you are getting here is a lot more cutting edge than you will find in "Deco for Divers".
'Deco for Divers' was published in 2008. That's eight years ago. In some fields of research, eight years is a long time. The average medical "truth" has a lifespan of about ten years.

'Deco for Divers' was published in 2008. That's eight years ago. In some fields of research, eight years is a long time. The average medical "truth" has a lifespan of about ten years.

The 2nd edition is from 2014, it is said to be fully updated and revised. Has this section been updated and expanded? Sorry, I have only the 2008 edition

See Mark Powell's response below.

Mark Powell is a really good technical writer, who surveyed the literature and produced a really good and useful layman's summary of the state of the art. Here's what he has to say about himself: "As I have explained I am a diver and a technical diving instructor. I am not a doctor or a decompression researcher. As such there is no original research or thoughts in this book".(1)

(1) Deco for Divers, Second Edition, Mark Powell, Aquapress Ltd. 2014

There seems to be a view that the Navy thinks it is acceptable for some percentage of its divers to be injured in routine training and peacetime operations; I don't believe it. I worked inside the U.S. Navy aviation safety program for a decade or so; I was a carrier based single seat single engine airplane pilot. Every single mishap was investigated; the "system" didn't accept the concept of a mishap that wasn't preventable; there was (and is) a continuous never-ending improvement process. The externally verifiable fact that the Navy didn't change its model helps clear away a lot of the noise in my opinion.
Navy risk management for diving should be different than recreational tech divers. And comments in NEDU documents like this "The DeS risks (Pocs) estimated for this schedule by the BVM(3)15 and NMRI9816 probabilistic models are 2.9% and 1.9%, respectively" say they are. http://www.diverbelow.it/attachments/article/230/NEDU_2007_06.pdf

Navy divers have access to chambers built into the dive protocols. See pages 6-24 to 27 of the Navy diving manual. Part of this is emphasis that when practical there should be a chamber on site where dive operations are conducted. This isn't something that very many recreational (as in "not being paid to dive") divers have.

The Navy routinely does things like "Surface Decompression. Surface decompression is a technique where some of the decompression stops in the water are skipped. These stops are made up by compressing the diver back to depth in a recompression chamber on the surface." This is totally impractical for most recreational divers.

Plus Navy divers are typically both younger and fitter than the typical tech diver and have much closer scrutiny of their actual dive and deco profile than the average tech diver.

So things that work for the Navy don't necessarily work for a recreational diver.

"With four parameters, I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk"
-attributed to John von Neumann

A model which hasn't been verified with independent data is of limited value. Using a model outside the range of the data used for verification is very risky.

Hahahaha, that is funny and hit the nail on the head!

Storker,

Your post on fitting observational data to some definable measure of that data is well taken. With today’s mathematical tools, anyone can play the fitting game and come out with a right proper result.

Raw datasets are gold.

“I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
Isaac Asimov, The Roving Mind

Raw datasets are gold.

I am trying to follow the nuances of this thread as there is much knowledge and experience sprinkled throughout these endless posts. I keep thinking back to post #997 where UWSojourner took a single point guesstimate as to where to start looking for the region where bubble models begin to have predictive problems. That is a place for me to start poking around, but I have precisely NO raw data to work with. I do have the Navy Air Tables. So with that, I can make my own assumptions by treating those tables as metadata. Someone also mentioned a particular profile as being “a big dive”. *SIGH* -First deep stops now big dives. Fuzzy and fuzzier...

I’ll take a shot at defining what is a “big dive” so I can begin to compare that to UWSojourner’s comment.

We always start with assumptions. Let’s assume that the US Navy Air Tables all provide a similar level of “threat” to the diver. In other words, let’s assume that some of them aren’t stupidly conservative while others are idiotically dangerous with respect to getting bent on any particular profile. So my metadata is assumed to be pretty much self-consistent. Second big assumption is that the stop profiles are all rooted in an (unknown to me but) common theme. Third assumption is that the stop schedules have been refined by experience over time, thus they are reasonably optimal. I'm good to go if all assumptions are fairly reasonable.

Let’s start with the simplest hypothesis: A dive’s “Bigness” with respect to a bubble model is well-defined by just the total decompression time given in the tables. Problem. That doesn’t work as well as one would expect. 70’ for 70 min gives you 14 min of deco. 160’ for 20 min gives you 14 min of deco. One of those two dives seems (to me) to be “bigger” than the other with respect to a bubble model.

I previously showed how one can accurately predict NDL’s for the tables in question using a constant divided by depth squared. Let’s assume that this is a form factor that more or less applies to deco schedules too. We can easily run this in reverse to get a score for each profile.

Square each stop depth in any given profile, divide by the constant and multiply by the time spent at that stop. Add up all the values that you get for all of the stops in the same profile and this is your single numeric score for how “big” that particular dive is. Note that the number is totally meaningless for anything but comparison to another profile’s score. Such is the nature of metadata, much is lost but we can still compare. By comparison of scores, the deeper one of the two dives mentioned above is now “bigger”.

This is what fitting those scores to a surface looks like in the region around UWSojourner’s suggestion:

Big Dive.jpg

Now for the obvious question, does “bigness” reliably predict the degree of difficulties that VPM-B has with a given profile?

I don’t expect much of an answer. This is more of a thought experiment for those who may wish to make adjustments to their model that is based solely on metadata.

Define and conquer the problem…

“If we knew what we were doing, we couldn’t call it research.” -apocryphal

Never be afraid to be wrong. It is a researcher’s way of life, being right once in a while is what makes it all ever so worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom