Deep Six Service Kits & Parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

madamimadam

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a source for service kits and parts (diaphragms), for Deep Six regulators?

While participating in a general/not brand-specific regulator technician (service and repair) course, I used the kits that had been shipped with my Scribble/Excursion First Stage and Signature Second Stage. I've since inquired with Deep Six about purchasing extra kits, and was told they will not sell them unless I take their course.

Living outside the States, it is impractical to travel to GA or FL to take their course at this time (although I am planning a trip to Atlanta for some other technical training, and would like to complete the Deep Six course at the same time). Shipping my regs to and from the States would be ridiculously expensive, would leave me dry far too long, and is a sorry expenditure of carbon to do something I have the training, tools, and experience to do myself.

It looks as though parts in the DGX Gears D6 First Stage and DGX Gears XTRA Second Stage kits are not a match for the similar Deep Six regulators.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Why you guys in the US are so complicated?!
Do you need special training-certification-connection to buy spares for any other equipment like a plane, a parachute, brakes for you cars and so on?
No! So why that is needed for regulators?!
D6 is just an American solution to an American problem.

American solution to an American problem.
We don't, the Corporate Ownership entities do to protect their butt's. Litigious society and all that idiocy...

Why you guys in the US are so complicated?!
Do you need special training-certification-connection to buy spares for any other equipment like a plane, a parachute, brakes for you cars and so on?
No! So why that is needed for regulators?!
D6 is just an American solution to an American problem.
I am a Canadian, Landon is American.
In fact, putting parts on planes and parachutes is regulated out the you know what. Car brakes, not so much.. LOL

I am not altogether surprised, although a bit disappointed, that the tone of this thread has followed a somewhat predictable path. I am posting now as a SB user, not as a Moderator.

I will offer several thoughts, about small companies, about large companies, about Deep 6, etc., with certain caveats:

1. I own NO Deep 6 gear, at the moment. I have seriously considered buying some specific items. However, I just haven't 'pulled the trigger yet'. So, I can honestly say that I am not somehow biased by any affiliation with Deep 6.

2. I am a dive store owner. We carry a number of 'major supplier' lines. We do not sell Deep 6 - and that is not at all a reflection on Deep 6, only a caveat to maintain at least the appearance of impartiality. :) Honestly, whatever I say about manufacturers might be perceived to be biased, even though I really don't think that is the case. :)

3. I have personally serviced my own gear for many years, so I am not entirely dependent on other stores / manufacturers, etc.

From my read of this thread, I think the primary initial problem has been a communication issue between a user and a vendor. That is more often than not the principal issue in most expressions of frustration on the part of customers! The good news - what I see in this thread is that the 'management' of Deep 6 has been online, and responded to the concern of the user. Kudos to them! Perhaps, if they had been able to respond a bit sooner, the whole issue might have been more easily resolved. Perhaps, not. But, the fact that they 'came to the table' deserves positive recognition. Frankly, if you look at the responsiveness of many manufacturers (at least the responsiveness [not] exhibited in the Manufacturer's Forum), Deep 6 seems to be ahead of the curve!

The thread has, not unexpectedly, been used by various SB users to express their personal opinions, about 'major' versus 'minor' suppliers, about Deep 6, etc. Much of that has little to do with the original question. But, this is a social media forum, and that is par for the course.

From my perspective - as a diver, as a diving instructor, as a store owner, I am INCREDIBLY happy when small(ER) companies come into the mix. We absolutely need them, to keep major manufacturers 'on their toes', to provide the innovation that might otherwise be lost, to give us as individual users a chance to communcate DIRECTLY with the leadership of these companies.

The bottom line: a) users with issues should continue to bring their questuons to SB - you might just get the result you want; b) manufacturers / vendors should take full advantage of the opportunity to 'show well' on SB by paying attention, AND responding to concerns; c) divers should NOT assume that the size of an organization necessarily implies quality, competence, or excellence, OR the lack of these attributes.

I am not altogether surprised, although a bit disappointed, that the tone of this thread has followed a somewhat predictable path. I am posting now as a SB user, not as a Moderator.
Oh you just know someone is going to chime in at any opportunity to take shots at Deep 6. Why that is tolerated is beyond me.
I will offer several thoughts, about small companies, about large companies, about Deep 6, etc., with certain caveats:

1. I own NO Deep 6 gear, at the moment. I have seriously considered buying some specific items. However, I just haven't 'pulled the trigger yet'. So, I can honestly say that I am not somehow biased by any affiliation with Deep 6.

2. I am a dive store owner. We carry a number of 'major supplier' lines. We do not sell Deep 6 - and that is not at all a reflection on Deep 6, only a caveat to maintain at least the appearance of impartiality. :) Honestly, whatever I say about manufacturers might be perceived to be biased, even though I really don't think that is the case. :)

3. I have personally serviced my own gear for many years, so I am not entirely dependent on other stores / manufacturers, etc.

From my read of this thread, I think the primary initial problem has been a communication issue between a user and a vendor. That is more often than not the principal issue in most expressions of frustration on the part of customers! The good news - what I see in this thread is that the 'management' of Deep 6 has been online, and responded to the concern of the user. Kudos to them! Perhaps, if they had been able to respond a bit sooner, the whole issue might have been more easily resolved. Perhaps, not. But, the fact that they 'came to the table' deserves positive recognition. Frankly, if you look at the responsiveness of many manufacturers (at least the responsiveness [not] exhibited in the Manufacturer's Forum), Deep 6 seems to be ahead of the curve!
Deep 6 has no control over their responses to potential customers winding up in spam folders. Maybe they can augment their website to say "add info@deep6gear" or whatever to their safe list.

Also there was a recent incident where a person didn't respond to requests for information but came here to complain.

Deep 6 is a unique company with good products serving a niche. That's why I never an affiliate as they will help me reduce the costs of running my business. Since then I've learned more of the extent of their ethics and their sincere efforts to ensure their customers are happy. This is of course a Sisyphean task.

Their active role on social media results in no good deed going unpunished.
The thread has, not unexpectedly, been used by various SB users to express their personal opinions, about 'major' versus 'minor' suppliers, about Deep 6, etc. Much of that has little to do with the original question. But, this is a social media forum, and that is par for the course.
Par for that individual you mean.
From my perspective - as a diver, as a diving instructor, as a store owner, I am INCREDIBLY happy when small(ER) companies come into the mix. We absolutely need them, to keep major manufacturers 'on their toes', to provide the innovation that might otherwise be lost, to give us as individual users a chance to communcate DIRECTLY with the leadership of these companies.

The bottom line: a) users with issues should continue to bring their questuons to SB - you might just get the result you want; b) manufacturers / vendors should take full advantage of the opportunity to 'show well' on SB by paying attention, AND responding to concerns; c) divers should NOT assume that the size of an organization necessarily implies quality, competence, or excellence, OR the lack of these attributes.

Try to contact the Owner/President/Leadership at any other brand and see how successful you are. We provide an unprecedented level of access to both Chris and myself, and work to resolve issues directly.
This can't be stressed enough. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, resolve issues and don't let the petty people get you down.

Say, where could one supposedly find a picture of this Deep six model :cool:
There used to be a beautiful woman modeling the dive skins on their website. I would imagine she is still there.

I should chime-in here and make the following points:

• Landon did DM me yesterday afternoon, shortly after I posted this question, and offered to help address or resolve the issue. I didn't see his message or this thread until this morning. I appreciate and respect Landon's direct contact, although it wasn't my intention when posting to seek a direct response from the company. In my experience, it is difficult to reach the right person within an organization even when working through the typical proper channels. To have the president of the company reply to a post made in an online forum speaks volumes of the company. I agree with the point made repeatedly in the thread that such a thing rarely, if ever, happens with larger, less agile companies.

• I absolutely did not intend to, nor even consider my question could, inflame such debate. I regret that the thread got out-of-hand, and offer my apologies to all who were injured here. My intention when posting the question was merely to seek a source for parts after I'd failed to obtain them from the company. Somewhat new to ScubaBoard, I consider it a great resource and have learned a lot here. I like that most of the debate, even the heated debate I've read has been dive-related, not negative political, cultural, or personal attacks. I hope it stays that way.

To answer some questions and reply to some points in the thread:
  • Yes, the general regulator service and repair class I took was virtual. While in-person training is preferable for many, myself included in most cases, a good virtual course can be just as educational. I was surprised by how much I learned during my multiple-day course, and I gained the confidence to work on my own equipment.
  • I was not aware of a virtual offering for the Deep Six course. I had recently searched for courses in my region and found none.
  • No, a virtual course option was not suggested to me when I inquired about kits, but that was early this year, and a virtual option may not have been available at that time.
  • Yes, larger regulator manufacturers make it difficult- to impossible- to obtain parts. Some require participation in a course (which is fair), while others require the individual be affiliated with a shop to even enroll in the course. Still others require the shop to be an authorized dealer for the brand. This is frustrating for anyone who wishes to service his/her own equipment. Yes, parts and kits can be sold to individuals in Europe, but some vendors prohibit shipping of their parts and kits outside of Europe. And yes, this is partly due to how stupidly litigious Americans are.
I, like many others in the community, want to service my own equipment so that I know it is done properly, and so that I can dive without the slightest concern that a corner was cut or something was forgotten. If something goes wrong, I have only myself to blame, and know where and how to improve. Speak with any shop technician, or watch a few youtube service videos and you may notice steel picks used where brass picks are recommended, silicone grease applied where it shouldn't be or where another lubricant is called-for, cheaper lower-quality parts replace manufacturer's parts, torque specifications are ignored, et cetera. When I'm underwater I don't want to have to think about these things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom