Deep sea submersible incident happening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is their onboard gas management systems.

The submersible's breathable atmosphere is likely maintained by a CO2 scrubbing / O2 makeup system not unlike the principle involved in rebreather technology. Sensors monitor the p.p. of O2 & Co2 continuously. The O2 p.p. is maintained at a preset level automatically, while the CO2 scrubbing canisters must be changed as the soda-lime scrubbing material is used up, thus the crew's survival is largely dependent on the onboard supplies of stored O2 & soda-lime.

I would venture the sub carries emergency supplies of CO2 absorbant &/or lung-powered scrubbers ( if & when the sub's electrics fail & the atmosphere scrubbers stop functioning ). Hypothermia is another significant worry. We carried all of the above plus "mummy"-style sleeping bags in our deepsea diving bells for just such circumstances.

It appears rescue will only come when another submersible arrives on scene w/ a manipulator fitted with a cutting device of sufficient strength to cut away the netting.

Hit your knees & ask whomever you pray to for a miracle...

D.S.D.

I just heard from one of the news sources, it may not be a fishing net, but an undersea antena? Being that they are close to the old Naval Base in Vladivostok (exc. my spelling) this could be so. It could be some sort of SOSUS system like the US has. For those of you old Navy guys you may recall SOSUS which surrounds the US Continental shelf as well as many other islands and deep water ways in the North Sea and other areas. Primarily used during the cold war as a listening device, a way to listen to submarines, as each one has its own distinct signature. Anyway, this was my first thought, and with the Russian Media being rather suspect who knows what it could be?

Ya'll following this? Another Russian sub has been traped at 600 feet. I was working with a commercial diving company last time around and they called in, ready to travel with all gear loaded, from Alaska and were told no.They were ready to make contact in time to supply O2 and what ever else was needed to keep them alive. This time they seem more open to our efforts....I don't know much about the topic but have read a little. Deep ocean rescue can and has been done. I hope they get to these guys soon enough! Good luck.

From what I have read on the issue, the boat crew has a matter of hours left of usable air. Not enough time to get a sat. system up and running for depths to 600' deep. Barly enough time to get an ROV there in time to cut the restraining lines of the nets from the wheel.
This submarine is origionally made for rescue missions just as Our DSRV to rescue a stricken submarine in our fleets. On the Russian submarine (India class) there are two "Rescue" submarines. The "Mother" submarine, India class, carries the TWO rescue submarines in deck wells on the deck. I just wonder where the "Other" rescue submarine is? There are Two of these "systems" in the Soviet Navy. One in the North seas and the other in the Pacific.
Interestingly enough though there are no hatches on the top of the rescue subs, but they do have lock out systems for the "Spetsnaz" or the Russian version of the SEAL TEAMS. The systems were built in '79 and '80 so they are at least 25yrs old. The Boat I was on was 30yrs old when I was on it so I'm just saying it's Old tech. is all.
Our NR1 was built in '72 and is still in survice. It has quite a story too. There are a couple of books on the subject. Bill

I also heard it was an antena, not a net. Also the sub blew it's ballast,
so it's as bouyant as a diver wouldn't want to be (like a cork that is).

I'm also still optomistic the crew will be safe. Nice to see such old enemies
working so hard to help each other now :)

MoonWrasse:
I also heard it was an antena, not a net. Also the sub blew it's ballast,
so it's as bouyant as a diver wouldn't want to be (like a cork that is).

I'm also still optomistic the crew will be safe. Nice to see such old enemies
working so hard to help each other now :)

I saw that on CNN today, confirming the story about the antennae. They also said:

"Although initial reports said the propeller of the sub, an AS-28, became stuck on some fishing nets or cable, Interfax reported the sub was fitted with a coastal observation aerial, held to the ocean floor by at least one anchor.

The apparatus is keeping the sub from rising, Interfax said, adding the anchors were to be blown up to raise the vessel. An earlier plan to cut the antenna and anchors apparently was abandoned. It was unclear whether a fishing net or cable also was involved."

Vladimir Pepelyaev, deputy chief of staff of Russia's navy, told a Russian TV audience that cables have been placed underneath the mini-sub and it is being lifted.

The Russians want to bring the sub to the depth of 200 feet, where divers can reach it.

Previously they mentioned getting it to 165 ft where divers would go down and bring the submariners up. That gave me several ideas and questions:

Would they have to do deco? Wouldn't their ears be ruptured by going from ambient pressure in the sub to 165 ft below sea level? What Batman escape the Riddler's trap?

Someone also mentioned about hypothermia, which was a good suggestion. The previous article stated that the men sent a message that they were in good condition despite the cold conditions (I think the article said 25-40 degrees F, not sure), but they didn't say why no further communications were available.

Kriterian:
Would they have to do deco? Wouldn't their ears be ruptured by going from ambient pressure in the sub to 165 ft below sea level?

I'm just guessing here but I think the escape area is pressurized and then submariners can then escape through the hatch. Kind of like a free dive with a dry 'decent'.

PETROPAVLOVSK-KAMCHATSKY, Russia (AP)—Seven crew members aboard a Russian mini-submarine trapped for three days beneath the Pacific Ocean were pulled to safety Sunday after a British remote-controlled vehicle cut away the undersea cables that had snarled it, Russian naval officials said.

Naval spokesman Capt. Igor Dygalo said the crew appeared to be in satisfactory condition and were being examined by ship medics.

The sub was raised after becoming stranded in 600 feet of water off the Pacific Coast on Thursday.

“The rescue operation has ended,” Rear Adm. Vladimir Pepelyayev, deputy head of the navy’s general staff, said in televised comments.

http://nytimes.com/aponline/interna...&en=7bf358572fd76c27&ei=5094&partner=homepage

All are safe! I was hoping to see some high tech deep diving rescue scereno play out but as long as they all made it, thats great!

Back
Top Bottom