"Deep in the Heart of Texas"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi!
Thanks again for all the warm welcomes! I just got back to Chicago last night.
The weather was great the whole time we were there. 80's!
Things went smoothly with the house. We should be closing Mid May.
We face one problem now. My 15 year old had agreed to try it in school one year down there to see if he liked it.
We went to Pearland High and took and tour of the school. We noticed all the kids had on long pants (Jesse had shorts and sandals on ) and the same three colors of solid shirts.
We asked about this.
They told us all of Texas has a dress code. No strips in shirts, only solids, long pants no shorts, and no sandals.
They only wear black, tan, and maroon. Jesse called this Communism. It put a big " Stop sign" on him coming down.
There is just about no dress code up here, other then no Beer advertising on shirts and the girls must wear straps on there tops.
That's it.
So now what do I do?

All of Texas?
Thats wrong, Dress codes are decided by each individual School DISTRICT, San Antonio has uniforms... but say Austin is very liberal.
Find a different district nearby that allows more liberal dress..

Not around here!! Hey - move over here to Austin!! My daughter's high school in Leander was pretty much anything goes - only rule that got her was shorts had to be longer than the reach of you fingers ... she's a shade under 6 ft with long arms .... they had the cowboy group, the jocks group, the all-in-black Goth group ... pretty much anything you could think of, these kids wore. I thought it funny since at that point we were still kind of out in the country ..... how do these kids survive if they have to wear long pants all the time, around here you wear shorts 9 to 10 months a year ........... :eek:

Any other school districts close enough to switch him into??

Diver Kat once bubbled...
Any other school districts close enough to switch him into??

You guys would actually go to the trouble to switch school districts to avoid a dress code that does not sound like anything *THAT* out of the ordinary?

To each his own I guess...

if it was a matter of my child being more comfortable in a new school, new city, new state and 1000 miles away from all his friends ........... and as long as the other school district was reasonably close and well rated. You have to understand, around here, many school districts nearly overlap each other. There are 3 different districts within a 15-20 minute drive of our neighborhood, so it's not that big a deal ...........

Diver Kat once bubbled...
...You have to understand, around here...

I grew up in TX so I understand.

Like I said, to each his own. Given that most of young adult / adult life has some sort of dress code associated with it, I would probably tell my kid to get a grip and learn to get used to it.

But, that's me and I'm sure that being in private schools in Dallas my entire life where they were *strict* dress codes that were actually enforced has a lot to do with that.

Whatever suits you...run with it.

'Tasha....As someone said it's the individual school district that dictates whether they have a dress code or not. It's really not that far fetched. The reasoning behind no stripes, certain colors, etc. is to keep the gangs from taking hold and taking over. Some of the snootier school districts just think it's cool to have a dress code. :eek:ut: Makes them feel special! Now the shorts...I don't know why they aren't allowed other than the fact of those mid-calf baggie things the kids wear are associated with trouble making punks and gangs.

As for what to do....remember you asked! There's more riding on this move than whether little Jesse wants to move or not. Life is not always going to go as he plans and he needs to learn to adapt with changes of plans. You aren't doing him any favors by letting him get his way and call the shots. David has been up north for how many years now, wishing he was back in Texas? Jesse is old enough to act like a young man and do some adjusting himself.

Well, I knew you all would tell me the truth. It was the guidance counselor at the school who said ALL of Texas has these dress codes.
Lots of good points were made.

Matt ..I did tell him, most jobs do have a dress code. Both his father and step father wear uniforms to work.

Like Kat said, it's a lot for a 15 year old, to move 1000 from home, not know a single kid his age, leave his friends of 10 years, and have his freedom to express himself taken away.

But, Jesse is a pretty easy going kid. And he really wants to live with David and I, so he seems to be leaning this way. Although his dad has said he can stay up here and keep most of his "old" life, instead of "Embracing the Change" which has become my moto.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted. It's good to know I'm not alone, and already have freinds down there.

Natasha once bubbled...
Well, I knew you all would tell me the truth. It was the guidance counselor at the school who said ALL of Texas has these dress codes.

The guidance counselor is right, but it's the way he/she said it that is wrong.

As has been mentioned in prior posts, all school districts have dress codes, but there is NO uniform dress code for the entire state. Each ISD makes its own guidelines for students and teachers to adhere to.

Most dress codes are not as draconian as the one you visited seems to be. Taste does enter into it, but as long as it isn't outrageous, most apparel is accepted (or should be).

Always happy to help... :)

Now you can dive the flower gardens-stetson-and rigs, when you leave Chicago please bring my Bonaire deposit with you. Jimmy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom