"Deep in the Heart of Texas"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee .... to get a bit picky here - Natasha is not really a Yankee if she's from Chicago .... it's just Texans that think that anyone from outside of Texas is a Yankee!! :wink:

Excerpt from Encyclopedia Britannica...
Yankee - a native or citizen of the United States or, more narrowly, of the New England states of the United States (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut). The term Yankee is often associated with such characteristics as shrewdness, thrift, ingenuity, and conservatism. It was applied to Federal soldiers and other Northerners by Southerners…

Thanks Kat! I'm not a Yankee I'm not a Yankee .. I'll stand in the mirror and repeat that a few times. I actually consider myself a Texan by injection :wink: And I'm proud of it!

Thank you all for the warm Texas welcome. I would never expect less from you.
Chad:
I've been a travel agent for 14 or 15 years now. I don't know how to do anything else. So I will be starting Coast to Coast Travel down there. And my partner Marci is hoping to move close enough so we can stay partners within 6 months or so.
We heard there is really only one travel business in the area.. so we'll be looking for a spot soon after we're there.
ScubaTexan:
I'm also hoping to have my own open house party so I can meet friends this summer ..so stay tuned!

Dee:
Turning my head around and around my whole body now (((()))))
That EXORCISING book must have worked!

Diver Kat once bubbled...
....just Texans that think that anyone from outside of Texas is a Yankee!! :wink:

But Kat.....It's the Texans that care the most!

From the Encyclopedia of Texas.....

Yankee - Any person living or habitating more than 50% of their time north of the Red River and east of the Missouri River. (Those from the New England states are Damn Yankees.) This term is applied liberally to those who qualify, by every Texan since birth.

Texan - Only persons born and bred in Texas qualify. No one can become a Texan, only Texanfied. The first requirement is to loose the funny accents. :wink:

'Tasha...Marci's moving down here too? Cool! I have another book for you when ya get here...How to Speak Proper Texan. You're gonna love it! :eek:ut:

Dee:
Marci and I are Siamese twins ..seperated at birth. So yes, she is moving down too. We are joined at the hip still, so they say.

Now where's that Coke?
And the dark green hot sauce?
Ah ..it's right here under my book .. "You can take the Yankee out of Chicago, but you can't take Chicago out of the Yankee"

glad to have you .The TSDT is so popular people are moving here so they can be in it.:D
Joens

Yes...it's still Coke. You don't get down to details until you are ordering one. For instance, while driving in the Texas heat you say to a friend... "You wanna stop and get a Coke?" It's only after you pull in at Sonic, park and place your order that you get specific... "2 Sonic size Diet Cokes, please." In our generation it's still normal to order Diet CHERRY Cokes!

'Tasha....just make sure to remove that book from sight when you invite your neighbors over! :eek:ut:

Natasha - Dee may have you on the "first requirement is to loose the funny accents" - unless your Tx hubby has rubbed off on you already! I hear from my hubby/buddy (who has been hanging out on the Board for awhile) that you're the person that plans all the cool trips. We'll be interested to see what you whip up when you get down here ...... :)

Dee - since I was born a New Englander, I'll take the "Damn Yankee" comment as a compliment - if I have to be a Yankee, don't want to be just a plain old regular one!!! And we may be more alike than you think - real Yankees would never use the word "pop" - it's a coke for us too!! :wink:

You should have moved before the winter...ready to leave the (lake-effect) snow yet...:wink: (I used to live in Ann Arbor, MI, and would visit Chicago every now and again.)

Well, in Pearland you'll be very close to the southern swampers' fav local dive spot, Twin Lakes (TL)....it should be warmed up by the time you arrive.

See ya soon at TL!
-Emma

And remember......when you pull into that Sonic to get that diet Cherry Coke......don't toss your cookies all over the parking lot!

It's just rude! (LOL! - inside joke).

Welcome to the swamp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom