Deep exposure review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jxh2297

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to give a brief overview of our 5 days of diving with deep exposure and the crew.

This was my 3rd time to cozumel, first time we used casa del mar aquatics and 2nd time we used aqua safari. These were good shops but felt as they catered to beginner divers.

Diving off deep exposures boat was a blast. The crew was excellent and very sarcastic and made the experiance enjoyable. The most notable things why I will be stickimg with this shop.

1.) They pair divers together based on their skill level. Some days we had 3 small groups of divers with different skill level. So there is not just one huge group of 12 divers.

2.) No max dive time. The other charters I have been on made you start ascending at 50 mins. Most of my dives on deep exposure were 80+ mins. Lots of extra bottom time.

3.) Lunch is provided- although it does extend the time for the charter it was nice coming back to the hotel and not rushing to go get food. The food was excellent in my opnion. Had a mix between tacos and sandwhiches.

4.) Catering to tech divers - although this trip I didn't not bring any tech gear it was nice to see they had everything to tech dive. Doubles, sidemount cylinders, steel cylinders, rebreather cylinders, own fill station with any custom blend available.

4. ) didn't visit the same site twice. Most other charters if you stay on the boat for 5 days you will hit the same reef multiple times. We had told the crew about this the first day and they went to a different reef everyday.

5. ) boat- the boat is a bit old but I found it more than enough. Everything is in working condition and spacious.

If you are looking for a dive operator and tired of cattle operations give deep exposure a try. They customize your experiance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added April 5th, 2014 at 05:43 PM ----------

*this post was created while laying in bed half asleep. Pardon the typos.

DE has had a great boat capitan, Giovanni - "Johnny" - for a long time. He used to work for another shop I still dive with and captained the gorgeous boat Yellow Rose for a few years too. Hope you dove with him.

4. ) didn't visit the same site twice. Most other charters if you stay on the boat for 5 days you will hit the same reef multiple times. We had told the crew about this the first day and they went to a different reef everyday.
Forgive me, since you've obviously tried "most other charters" on the island, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Even when I dove a week with Dive Paradise, the only repeats were the afternoon dives.

Forgive me, since you've obviously tried "most other charters" on the island, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Even when I dove a week with Dive Paradise, the only repeats were the afternoon dives.

My experience as well...

Thanks Moss and Chief - I was going to address the very same thing. Having only dove with 3 shops (2 of them being high volume resort ops) - does not constitute "Most shops"

The fact IS that MOST shops do not visit the same sites multiple times in a week. And MANY shops have smaller groups on each boat - which is also in fact different than having several small groups on the same boat.

I'm going to add that tech divers don't belong on a boat with recreational divers - you're lucky you didn't have that or we may be reading a much different review.

With that said, I am glad you found an operator that you like and had a good experience so you'll come back to the island!

Regardless if other operators visit same sites or not I know we did not on this trip. And we did have 2 rebreather divers on board with us 3 of the days. Did not bother me one bit. Actually had some good conversation with them and went out to dinner 2 nights together. Their dives were limited to 90 mins, and like I said our longest was 83mins. So we did not have to wait long periods of time for them to surface. Of course the people that were air hogs and went up at 30 mins did but the diver operator is not in control of that.

Yea, JXH2297, its just you can't EVER say, 'my op is great because they do X that most others don't.' Unless you are talking about valeting a pee drenched wet suit, those of us who dive with the 'others' will chime in and correct you that our op DOES do X. And there are so many different OP in Coz, many of them will, in fact, do X just like your favorite op. (Unless, as I said, it involves valeting a wetsuit rancid with urine. Or maybe 120 steel HP tanks....)

Lol Scubaboard..... that's all I can say.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

This is a thread for review of deep exposure and what I liked about them. Not a thread to show that your business also does this and this blah blah. I know who I won't be diving with when I go to cozumel again.

This is a thread for review of deep exposure and what I liked about them. Not a thread to show that your business also does this and this blah blah. I know who I won't be diving with when I go to cozumel again.
Maybe I missed something. I saw her references to "many" and "most" shops, but the only reference to her shop was in the fine print in her sig. She didn't talk about the towels and parkas and other amenities she provides, for instance. And I thought her last sentence was rather selfless: "I am glad you found an operator that you like".

Often I find it helps to read first before commenting on something you thought you read.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 06:04 PM ----------

Yea, JXH2297, its just you can't EVER say, 'my op is great because they do X that most others don't.' Unless you are talking about valeting a pee drenched wet suit, those of us who dive with the 'others' will chime in and correct you that our op DOES do X. And there are so many different OP in Coz, many of them will, in fact, do X just like your favorite op. (Unless, as I said, it involves valeting a wetsuit rancid with urine. Or maybe 120 steel HP tanks....)
Rancid? My urine smells like margaritas.

On second thought, it probably is 100% margarita!

Lol Scubaboard..... that's all I can say.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

Or you could just say, "Sorry, I didn't mean to slam everyone else, I just really like DE. They're cool!"

I LOL Scubaboard too!

(That is good right?)

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

Rancid? My urine smells like margaritas.

Figures. I often thought the same thing about AI margaritas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom