Deep Diving Gas Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for clarification, this would be assuming a minute or two at depth and then heading back up, however the extra time at depth was in case something stupid happens like me getting caught up in something, or some other situation at the bottom of my profile. In my dives I plan on staying far out of NDL limits, but stuff happens, I'm making my dive plan as if stuff that can go wrong will go wrong. The pony is there for emergency but the plan is to carry enough back gas to get out safely. Likewise the slung AL80 from whatever depth, 15 feet, 30 feet was again just in case fit hits the shan, back gas is unavailable or low, pony has failed, buddy's gas for whatever reason has failed or unavailable.

Sorry if it sounded like I was planning a dive at or near NDL, I'm just of the assumption that at my experience level plans will probably go south, things will go sideways and if slinging an AL80 just in case could give a chance of saving my rear I figured it may have been a good idea.

My theory is the more margin the better, and knowledge is power.

However it sounds like cached gas isn't done in local SOP's here anyways, so my new plan, tripple check my kit, then check it one more time, tripple check my buddies kit and set my computer for the highest personal correction factor until experience builds and assume the pony if carried is empty even if verified its full so its used soley for emergencies, also tripple check it as well.

REALLY ???? You mean to tell me if a guy dives 130 ft at altitude and he stays just 10 extra minutes at depth he might end up low on air and have a problem getting to the surface safely.... Wow!

Actually, it was mentioned pages ago that 130 fsw corrected for altitude is no longer within the PADI recreational dive limits. The example was for 10 minutes beyond the NDL at 130 fsw (a target depth listed in the OP's first post), and was included to illustrate how a diver could think he has enough air to easily reach the surface, but would not have enough air to satisfy his deco obligation. Also, not making it to the surface after staying 10 extra minutes at 130 fsw was based on the assumption that he could not find/use his second tank, which would provide more than adequate air. The key phrase in my statement was "dives within his training and NDL" and not to hang out well past the NDL.

Also, earlier in this thread, I advocated that the OP should follow a rule of thirds if he thought there was a chance of exceeding the NDL. The OP has since made it clear that he has no intention of even coming close to the NDL, although I see altitude diving, advanced nitrox and decompression courses in his future.

Back
Top Bottom