Deep Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had two failures on my last trip--a torn O-ring on the spg spool and a stuck inflator on my wing which kept slowly inflating it. I had spares for both, so no drama. Definitely unusual.

Last edited:
Now that you mentioned it, I remember 2 not-so-bad failures. One, rental BCD leaked air but this was just an irritant. Two, the BCD inflator valve failed but this happened before the dive so I went on inflating my BCD by mouth.

Still, from reading accident reports here and in Scuba magazine, I am under impression that humans fail more often than gear.

When I originally learned to dive in the 1960's, my instructor, who was a former military diver, strongly recommended that we avoid diving below 60 feet with a single tank.

I agree that new divers go to 60' earlier than they should. I believe divers should work deeper over time getting more experience diving, as most, I've seen, are trained at around 30'.

There are numerous reasons back in the early '60's, when I was first trained, for emphasizing staying above 60'. First would be no BC, then the big tank was an old steel 72 at 67 cuft actual, a j-valve possible no SPG, and last but not least, no safe second so any air share was real buddy breathing from a single or double hose. I learned to be skilled and careful back when diving was dangerous.

I've always looked after my gear so I haven't had a lot of mechanical failures, except when I'm evaluating and repairing used gear and then I'm expecting. Any diver should be serious about maintaining their kit.

Bob

Agree on doing the real shallow dives first for a while. Get your drivers license on city streets, then go 70 on the interstate the next day.

Uhmm... in the best tradition of all analogies sucking, and car analogies sucking particularly hard, I'm much safer @ 70 on a N. Dakota interstate then @ 35 in many cities I've been to.

Uhmm... in the best tradition of all analogies sucking, and car analogies sucking particularly hard, I'm much safer @ 70 on a N. Dakota interstate then @ 35 in many cities I've been to.
Yeah, been there when I lived in Manitoba. I'm not talking about those interstates. Think NY, CT, NJ, and most places East of the Mississippi. Those would be compared to Deep dives.
Deep dives in Panama are not comparable to those in Nova Scotia.

These dives are significantly deeper than your dives to date. You do not describe the setting, vis, water temp, current, etc. I was the buddy for a young, very fit Navy man, who had just finished his AOW, on the Duane in Key Largo. The current was moderate, the dive was a disaster. Take others advice for a guide and/or do additional training/get more experience before you do these dives. It could work out fine, or it could not. We all tend to be pretty conservative, until we are not. I've been diving 47 years now. For what it's worth.

Curious what went wrong w/ that guy? I have my AOW with a similar number of dives and would be hesitant to jump right into deeper dives as well.

Curious what went wrong w/ that guy? I have my AOW with a similar number of dives and would be hesitant to jump right into deeper dives as well.
He went through his gas extremely quickly. He was supposed to let me know when he was at 1000 psi. He let me know more like 700. We were at the bow, line was at the stern. We swam back, ascended, did the safety stop. When he was back at the boat, I descended and finished my dive. On debrief, the current on the line and on the wreck freaked him out, as did the depth. He ended with about 300 psi.

Some people are just more comfortable in the water than others. My first open ocean dive off Kona at age 17 was to 80 ft. No issues with current and had a great time.

My 1st deep dive to 110 ft was my #10. It was a boat dive in Grand Cayman, with a ragtag group of maybe 12 tourists, ranging from teens to retirees. The visibility was perfect, the dive was easy and we did not have any second thoughts going deep. "If they can do it, we can do it!" We did 5 shore dives at (then) Turtle Farm before this so felt comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom