Deep dives on 2nd morning dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I've gone to Cozumel and the dive operators (Dive with Martin was great otherwise) I've been with seem to let you pick where you want to go one the 1st dive but always end up in Paradise Reef or other shallow (<60 feet) second dive. My computer says I can still do a deeper dive after the long . Was wondering if anyone knew of dive operators that would do something like go to Punta Sur the first dive, then go to Santa Rosa wall the second?

Anyone try Dive with Martin's Advanced "King Divers" program?

bober99:
I've gone to Cozumel and the dive operators (Dive with Martin was great otherwise) I've been with seem to let you pick where you want to go one the 1st dive but always end up in Paradise Reef or other shallow (<60 feet) second dive. My computer says I can still do a deeper dive after the long . Was wondering if anyone knew of dive operators that would do something like go to Punta Sur the first dive, then go to Santa Rosa wall the second?

Anyone try Dive with Martin's Advanced "King Divers" program?
I've done Santa Rosa Wall followed by C-53. Two deep dives, but I don't really recommend it. Your computer may say you can go deeper, but it will likely not give you very much time with a profile like that. On our C-53 we had to abort the dive because of a couple of diver's NDL. #&$^ing Suunto's :wink:. On C-53 the group has to come up together.

If you really want to finish your second dive with half a tank of air, then I'm sure you could convice most dive shops to do it, as long as you had a boat to yourself. If they get paid the same for 2 short dives, I can't really see them having a problem with it.

James

Keep in mind that many of the dive Guides do 4 dives a day, so sometimes that gives them more reason to keep the second dives to the shallower depths. With some operators, if you really push, you can get your second dive where you want it. Of course there is great stuff to see at almost all of the dive sites in Cozumel, so I wouldn't sweat about a shallow second dive. Of course if you find that the shallow sites they have taken you to for second dives have been boring, then by all means speak up and ask for better (not necessarily deeper) dive sites.

Just my opinions and suggestions,

Wristshot

It depends on the dive operation. Small independents are not going out and doing four dives. Its often an all day affair so you have a two to three hour surface interval. Under those conditions a punta sur first and santa rosa second is not a bad profile (through in NITROX and its even better). I really doubt you couldor would want to do that on a fast boat but the full day trips give you a better chance.

Augustus:
It depends on the dive operation. Small independents are not going out and doing four dives. Its often an all day affair so you have a two to three hour surface interval. Under those conditions a punta sur first and santa rosa second is not a bad profile (through in NITROX and its even better). I really doubt you couldor would want to do that on a fast boat but the full day trips give you a better chance.

Not true at all. I run morning and afternoon trips pretty regularly, although I usually switch divemasters for the afternoon trip when possible. Sometimes both of my divemasters are diving all day, in that case I give them nitrox for the dives that will allow it. I also do my best to give them 2 days off a week.

We do long surface intervals for this very reason...so that we are not limited to very shallow dives for the second dive. If we happen to do a really shallow dive for the second dive, it's because that's what was requested. Santa Rosa is a second dive for us pretty frequently.

However, I am with wristshot and I was going to say it sooner, but I got distracted and didn't ever post it. Many of the divemasters are diving everyday and doing multiple dives a day. We (operators) are trying not to kill them and to keep them as healthy as we can so that you can enjoy diving with them :) next year, and the next year, etc.

why do 2 deep dives anyway? personally if I had my choice I'd do 2 shallow dives so I could get more bottom time. I ve been a diver for a long time though and have been through all that deep dive thrill stuff and would rather spend more time with my underwater pals that have another 100+ dive logged in the old log book.

Christi:
We (operators) are trying not to kill them and to keep them as healthy as we can so that you can enjoy diving with them :) next year, and the next year, etc.
Where's the sport in that? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom