Deep Diver certification in NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am not well versed in NJ diving myself one can reasonably assume that if you face north there is a rather large body of water to your right that is known to get deeper than 130'. :D

True story: I've lived in NJ my whole life, but didn't get certified until I was 40. When I was in the shop near my house buying some stuff to go to Florida for my check-out dives, the owner said to me "When you come back, we'll talk about local diving!"

Me: "Where do you dive in New Jersey?"
He: "If you go down to the beach... and look east... there's this ocean..."

I'd been going to the beach at the Jersey shore for four decades. Spent most of every summer in the ocean, but it never occurred to me to put a tank on my back and dive in it. Who knew!?!

:d

True story: I've lived in NJ my whole life, but didn't get certified until I was 40. When I was in the shop near my house buying some stuff to go to Florida for my check-out dives, the owner said to me "When you come back, we'll talk about local diving!"

Me: "Where do you dive in New Jersey?"
He: "If you go down to the beach... and look east... there's this ocean..."

I'd been going to the beach at the Jersey shore for four decades. Spent most of every summer in the ocean, but it never occurred to me to put a tank on my back and dive in it. Who knew!?!

:d

That is too bad. I got out 40+ years ago. It is nice to visit.

But I don't understand. In NJ you didn't go to the beach unless you first went to the shore. Then you could go to the beach. You must be from south Jersey.

That is too bad. I got out 40+ years ago. It is nice to visit.

But I don't understand. In NJ you didn't go to the beach unless you first went to the shore. Then you could go to the beach. You must be from south Jersey.

You will note that I said "going to the beach at the Jersey shore" thus acknowledging the concept you reference. (The beach being that last 30 or so yards of sand before the water.)

I was actually going to say "down the shore" but I figured no one from outside NJ would understand what that meant - I am very much from the 201 "North Jersey" area code, though I'm in Central NJ now. (Where it's nice to live...)

I've been told that I can't get the Deep Diver cert in NJ, that I would have to travel to NC or further.:no: What if a budget or time constraints don't allow me to travel, how can I get the training to 130'?
:confused: The Stolt lies in 130 ft of water..... Shocking. Someone one is really deceiving you. :rofl3: . Not only can you get your deep cert but your deco and advanced nitrox cert as well.:shakehead: They are tons of shops that offer deep dive certification running up and down the coast, just depends on where you live.

Stolt Dagali - 130ft of seawater of NJ coast

Pretty sure AOW gets you to 130-150'

I'm rescue and have been to 164 on air but zero training. Bounce dive of course

You will note that I said "going to the beach at the Jersey shore" thus acknowledging the concept you reference. (The beach being that last 30 or so yards of sand before the water.)

I was actually going to say "down the shore" but I figured no one from outside NJ would understand what that meant - I am very much from the 201 "North Jersey" area code, though I'm in Central NJ now. (Where it's nice to live...)

I got your back. Essex county raised. Down the shore are the only directions I know how to comprehend to get to the beach :wink:.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New Jersey has almost as good deep diving as New York.... The USS SanDiego is a great deep dive...

PADI recommends that an aow diver have a max of 100 and deep diver to 130.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

And the max depth for the PADI aow course is 100 feet.

Back
Top Bottom