Deep course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a fan of just tilting your head to the side, and just using your exhale to fill the bag/SMB.

Not a fan of purging or just dumping any air from my tank unless it's for breathing or bouyancy control if need be.

I'm a fan of just tilting your head to the side, and just using your exhale to fill the bag/SMB.

Not a fan of purging or just dumping any air from my tank unless it's for breathing or bouyancy control if need be.

At say 10m you would have to then put in about 5 full breaths to half fill your SMB (so that it would be full on the surface) and if you took the time to do this the SMB would pull you to the surface. The amount of air that you would put into the SMB while breathinh out and purging at the same time remains the same, it just fills quicker, so you are not wasting any air. If you only put one or two breaths in the SMB at 10m (30 feet) there would be so little air in the SMB that it would no longer act as a surface marker buoy At depth you do not purge as the air would expand more and fill it on the way to the surface and also you risk the SMB pulling you up.

Makes sense to me!

Never tried it at 30ft...got the job done at 60 and 90 feet though.

But I see where you're coming from.

Thanks!

Must agree with you there...2 breaths at 60-90 feet should do the trick with out a problem. Another little trick would be to put a small amount of air into the SMB so that it flots up making it "stand" verticaly before putting in the full two breaths. This should make sure all of the air you blow out goes into the SMB.

Are you going straight from OW to a stand alone deep specialty without some sort of navigation expertise? It can be self taught, mentored or from a course and then practiced, otherwise you have a very real gap to close as a diver, let alone a deep diver.

You can learn almost all you need to know about your compass by fumbling around in your back yard and reading up a little about natural navigation, currents and such. However you will only become a navigator by going under and making dives where you trust yourself and the instrument.

I'm surprised navigation capability is not a prerequisite.

Pete

In answer to your question, yes I am going from OW to Deep to 39m without a nav course. Navigation was a recommendation but not a prerequisite. I have been practicing this skill on my last few dives with good results, especially with natural navigation - though this won't do me as much good in low viz! I was more asking to see if I should make it a big part of practising for deep over the next two weekends. As I mentioned I will be doing a navigation course two weeks afterwards to further improve my skills in that area. Originally I planned to do deep after navigation in October but me and my buddy have been able to organise a class earlier. Anyway given what some people here have said, I think I will do some shore dives with navigation as the focus and have started reading my nav theory book. Can't do any harm! Obviously I know it is a gap in my knowledge, that is why I mentioned I was doing a course on it. :)

In regards to my SMB, it is sealed so I don't see how I can fill it with my regulator? Basically I have to breathe into a metal valve on the side (sorry don't know what it is called) or attach my inflator hose to this valve. As I have been practising at about 7m it is hard to fill with breathing. Generally me and my buddy take turns so if something happens with the hose attachment we can help out each other. It is going pretty well so far apart from when I got tangled on one of my first attempts though. If you have any suggestions for improvement though that would be great.

I know those SMB's. The only way to fill them it with the inflator hose. Can't say that it is my favorite, but since it is what you have I guess you will have to practice using it. Because of the way it is inflated there is a chance that you will get the line wrapped around something (as you have found) You should have as little line out as possible to avoid this problem, and since you have to use two hands to deploy the SMB you will have to work out were and how to hold the reel/spool. I would hold the reel/spool in my right hand hand as well as the inflator hose, using my left to hold the inlet valve in the left. Inflate it as far from you body as possible so as to give it less to tangle on. Make sure that the reel/spool can flow freely before you inflate. If the reel/spool jams or gets tangled, let it go and use your buddy's line for your assent. I do know a lot of people who use this type of SMB and love it so with a bit a practice it should become easy, I however would rather use the self sealing SMB. Hope all this helps you, but just remember to have fun. As far as the navigation goes....it is always a great skill to have, but concentrate on the specialty that you are doing now. As long as you are getting to the nav it is all good

Iain Thysse:
Can't say that it is my favorite, but since it is what you have I guess you will have to practice using it.

Yea, it was the cheapest one in the shop to be honest. Rarely need an SMB so didn't spend the money on a decent one. If it becomes an issue I will upgrade. Anyway, thanks for the good advice on how to use that type. Usually I let the spool go and drop past me once it starts to inflate and catch it on the way up. Will see how it goes deeper but I work pretty well with my buddy using it and I have a knife if I get tangled. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom