Question Deep certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mario, I'm just wondering, under what conditions are you expecting to need to show a deep certification card?
Liveaboard or if I go somewhere else. I suppose maybe I'm wrong and you guys, have more experience so you can tell me

Liveaboard or if I go somewhere else. I suppose
OK. Well, I would say that I have never been asked whether I have a deep certification, or asked to show a deep C-card. But, I have done dives below 30m/100ft with a couple of different operators.

My view is that if you are trying to tick a box that makes a deep C-card a prerequisite for further dive education, then by all means, take the course. But, if you're expecting that some operator will require a card, I don't think you need to worry about this, I've never heard of it. Just do the dives you want to do, and go deeper incrementally. You'll know when you are ready for deeper dives, and as long as you're going little by little, and diving within your training, you should be safe. A deep specialty does not unlock anything that AOW doesn't already unlock.

OK. Well, I would say that I have never been asked whether I have a deep certification, or asked to show a deep C-card. But, I have done dives below 30m/100ft with a couple of different operators.

My view is that if you are trying to tick a box that makes a deep C-card a prerequisite for further dive education, then by all means, take the course. But, if you're expecting that some operator will require a card, I don't think you need to worry about this, I've never heard of it. Just do the dives you want to do, and go deeper incrementally. You'll know when you are ready for deeper dives, and as long as you're going little by little, and diving within your training, you should be safe. A deep specialty does not unlock anything that AOW doesn't already unlock.
Thanks for the reply. As for the education I take what mc42 wrote that there is a way around it

30m/100ft is a suggestion from PADI, not a required maximum depth. I have never heard of a dive op requiring a special deep dive C-card for dives to 40m/130ft, every one I've heard of just requires AOW (or OW + relevant experience). Are you aware of such a dive op? I'm genuinely curious here, not trying to be argumentative.

No, not really, I just did DDS under assumption I’ll need it for the dives under 30m up to 40m.
Other reason I did is insurance policy… just in case.
Don’t have any experience with dive OPS yet.

Back
Top Bottom