Question Deep certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

I would like to ask, if I log X number of dives between 30 m and 40 m. Can those dives be considered as "deep speciality" in case I want to move further on the training or if I can prove that I done those dives be able to get a deep certificate without the course itself?

Hi all.

I would like to ask, if I log X number of dives between 30 m and 40 m. Can those dives be considered as "deep speciality" in case I want to move further on the training or if I can prove that I done those dives be able to get a deep certificate without the course itself?
I don’t think so, don’t know any agency that would accept that. The dives must be conducted UNDER supervision of an instructor DURING the course.

While working at dive shops we get asked with some frequency if the instructor (shop/guide) can sign off for the dives conducted on their outing (boat/drift/wreck/deep/etc) towards their AOW/specialty, often with some debating not understanding why we wouldn’t do it

Hi all.

No. IIRC, if you are doing PADI's DM course, you have to show proof of having done deep dives, and the Deep specialty qualifies for that, or you could show deep dives from your log book. Other than that, you aren't going to be able to do the dives and just get a card... Well, at least you shouldn't be able to.

No. IIRC, if you are doing PADI's DM course, you have to show proof of having done deep dives,
Im not sure that’s correct, AOW is a prerequisite to DM, deep is one of the mandatory dives for AOW, so that box would be checked automaticall.

Im not sure that’s correct, AOW is a prerequisite to DM, deep is one of the mandatory dives for AOW, so that box would be checked automaticall.
one deep dive for advanced open water does not equal experience in in deep diving and only qualifies you to 100ft based on padi standards.

one deep dive for advanced open water does not equal experience in in deep diving and only qualifies you to 100ft based on padi standards.
And why are you telling me this? Are you saying that PADi does require deep diving specialty to enroll in DM course. Your statement reads more like an opinion on what constitutes experience rather than what PADis requirements are for DM course, those aren’t the same thing. I’d agree with you as an opinion, but the discussion so far has been about standards, which I could be wrong, haven’t looked at them in quite some time

No..it has to be under supervision of an instructor in a deep course. I think the deep dive in an AOW course counts towards it if you’re PADI.

I just looked and you are correct (at least when I look at my 2018 instructor manual). AOW is required, as well as proof of experience in deep, night and navigation dives. AOW could well be construed to be evidence of experience in deep diving, as it doesn't specify how much experience is required.

You have to take the course to get the Deep Diver certification.

However, if you're asking whether a Deep Diver certification is mandatory to take continuing education courses, it isn't for something like PADI Tec 40, in which you need either the Deep Specialty certification OR have at least 10 dives to 30m/100' +.

I didn't have the Deep Specialty when I did Tec 40 but I had the qualifying number of deep dives. I still don't have the Deep Specialty, but I am arguably beyond that, having done up to Tec 50.

Hi Mario, I'm just wondering, under what conditions are you expecting to need to show a deep certification card?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom