Deep Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those first six drinks don't count right?

I think you might be refering to "martini's law" which states that every 10 *metres* (33 feet) is like drinking one martini.

To get to 6 martini's you'd have to be at 60 metres (200ft) not 60ft.

R..

I'm not quite sure why you thought I was addressing you but I guess I struck a nerve nonetheless.
No nerve was struck, it was a valid point.
I guess you're right. The argument goes both ways. It's hard to argue in favour of it too unless you have the experience to back it up. Now that you mention it, that's certainly true.
Agreed, I only debate the point to those that feel that it is an absolute for diving past a certain point when it appears to be a personal decision and subjective to the individual
I think I can safely say that I'm the last person who would want to stop you from voicing an opinion. I would hope, however, that if you're speaking theoretically that you're clear about it. I thought up to now that you were adamant about this because of your experience.
I am, although it is limited there seem to be several agencies and individuals that agree.
Based on my experience, for what it's worth, I would suggest that seeing PPO2 as the only relevant controlling factor is ... well ... naive. I know narcosis affects everyone differently but at the MOD for air, the narcosis can become pretty darned bad and a much bigger problem, if you ask me, than the O2 issues.
To my training depth and my experience narcosis has not played a significant enough factor for me to sit out a dive to those depths just because I didn't have helium and I think a good portion of the naysayers like to point it out more for their own gratification than they do for the good of the diver. I'd be willing to bet if we looked back far enough we would find more than a few hypocrites.
Something worth suggesting in order to clearly see what narcosis does to you is to take a chamber dive to about 30m/100ft. I was personally very surprised how narced I felt in the chamber at a depth that feels completely normal to me in the water. It was a real eye opener.

R..
That's worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.

I think you might be refering to "martini's law" which states that every 10 *metres* (33 feet) is like drinking one martini.

To get to 6 martini's you'd have to be at 60 metres (200ft) not 60ft.

R..

I stand corrected.

So how much intoxication do we justify.

Because there is not enough (there's a little) impairment to affect most dive's ability to a degree that is potentially hazardous. The 100ft END limit is analogous to the .08 BAC. I can't ''feel'' when I have a .08, but I can gauge my body weight and number of drinks and come up with a reasonable estimate, just as you can gauge your depth and pN2. Regardless, feeling is a horrible indicator.

Another deep air issue I have is gas density and CO2 retention, decompression, and elevated ppo2s. So thats four separate issues, two of which are linked to narcosis (CO2 and N2). That's a lot of negatives just to save a few dollars.
Over Labor Day weekend we used ~1500cf of gas. How much would that have run you?

Ah, nickel rocketry...

Oh, how much money I could have saved in college if not for all those cab fares home from the bars...

For some people capital is finite.

I'm done with it. Helium's king and the rest of us are just waiting to die.

Most likely, I wouldn't have done the same plan/dives that you did with any mix, so thats not a valid question.

When I do deep dives, I just pay the money to do it in a safe manner. If I can't afford it, then I don't do it and I have fun somewhere else.

This isn't a chest beating competition, its a debate...

Pretty much everything is finite: my money, my time, my happiness, my comfort. It's all a game of risk and reward assessment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom