Deep Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sure you do. you could get the training to do these dives safely.

Who are you to say my dives are unsafe? They are not. I have done hundreds of dives like that from 140-180 fsw and I'm not dead or even bent. Let me guess I would die too if I don't use a BP/W. The most dangerous part of those dives are the 90lb AJ's you don't stone or the "friendly" bulls.

Who are you to say my dives are unsafe? They are not. I have done hundreds of dives like that from 140-180 fsw and I'm not dead or even bent. Let me guess I would die too if I don't use a BP/W. The most dangerous part of those dives are the 90lb AJ's you don't stone or the "friendly" bulls.
huh?
anyway...incident free isn't the same as safe. do you not think it would be safer to do a 180 foot dive with less narcosis?
the analogy with driving while intoxicating is a good one.

So I suppose the real question is why aren't folks actually using an END of 10FSW? I mean if it's safer and all what limits you to it and how do you justify diving with even a little narcosis at those dangerous 60FSW depths, I mean c'mon that's like 4 drinks? Could it be that narcosis affects individuals differently?

Planned to roughly the same depths electric_diver considers "safe" on air. He toxed at 190ft on air after the bounce down to 250.
The Deco Stop

Not to nit-pick but I want to come to electric_diver's defense here. He defined "sane" air to PPO2 of 1.6, not 1.8.

I also didn't read the whole thread about this diver's problem but all statements about the nature of his problem would appear to be complete conjecture. You are suggesting it happened because he toxed, which hasn't been established and that it was a direct result of diving with air, which hasn't been established. It *may* be what you say but it may not which should be said. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has an allergy for people putting out conjecture as if it were fact.

R..

So I suppose the real question is why aren't folks actually using an END of 0FSW?

Because I like to dive UNDER the water, and there is no breathing medium I know of that will sustain life and provide a 0 END at hyperbaric pressures.

I also didn't read the whole thread about this diver's problem but all statements about the nature of his problem would appear to be complete conjecture.

Isn't that true of most every diving-related death?

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. While you are diving and I'm sure there is some planning that goes into your spearfishing dives I by no means see them as "tech" dives. You might drop down to depth that are greater than the average diver but we are talking about dives that are planned for those depths for extended periods of time. Not two minutes while you shoot a fish and then work your way back up in the water column to hunt for more. These dives are well thought out and planned to the last detail including air consumption and deco times. I'm not saying you are unsafe I'm just saying that the diving is from two completely different worlds.

Now I wll say that I don't have a big issue with doing some deeper dives on air and I never thought I was narced at all until I did it on trimix. Then I couldn't believe the difference. I have never been narced to the point where I couldn't function and always said that I know I must be narced but I can't feel the affects. That has all been changed now because I have something to compare the experience to. There really is a big difference.

Because I like to dive UNDER the water, and there is no breathing medium I know of that will sustain life and provide a 0 END at hyperbaric pressures.

Well you managed to discover the typo how about the intent of the post? :D

Well you managed to discover the typo how about the intent of the post? :D

What typo? I believe I addressed the intent of the post.

You asked why people don't zero out END. I answered (in a roundabout way) that (to my knowledge) it's impossible to do without remaining on the surface

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom