Deep Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have to define "deep air" to avoid much of the cross communication that happens when this topic is discussed.

For me there is "sane deep air" and "insane deep air".

"insane deep air" is dives using air that have a PO2>1.6. The O2 toxicity danger is real and well documented. This basically mean all dive deeper that 218fsw are "insane deep air". Coming back from those is pure luck in avoiding an O2 tox hit. I think trimix is required for these dives.

"sane deep air" for me is all those dives with an END > 100 and a PO2 <= 1.6. That is basically dives between 100fsw and 218fsw. Whether or not these dives are right for you is a matter of your own tolerance for narcosis. Human beings vary greatly in their tolerance for narcosis so there is a great deal of variance in the answer to this question. Some people will require trimix to safely dive to these depths and others don't. Cost of trimix is also a big issue. Trimix at these depths turns a $15 doubles fill into a $115 doubles fill. I've noticed that the biggest advocates of trimix use in this depth range are those who benefit financially from it.

"sane deep air" for me is all those dives with an END > 100 and a PO2 <= 1.6.

Would you personally cap END anywhere?

Is EAN10 to 500 feet (or 495 if you want to do math) a-ok?

I realize that people will have different levels of tolerance on different days and even from dive to dive, however at some point is it not wise to establish a personal "no matter what" limit rather than saying 'END doesn't matter' (by leaving it open ended)?

I've done some deep air dives. Recently to 185 feet, in cold (43F) water, and low visibility. I've also been to 200' on Air as well - but in warm water. I don't think it was a life risking endeavor as was expressed in this thread by more than one person. I also don't think I'm completely nuts. (emphasis on COMPLETELY - at least not in this case)

I also did the 185 foot cold water low viz dive 2 days later with helium in my mix, and certainly I was more clear headed, but the dive is just as dangerous, with or without helium. My tasks on the bottom were the same. Photograph a wreck. Ironically. The results as far as accomplishments were the same. I got the photos needed for the job.

I have to agree with Bill. I don't think air is the evil gas many think it is, and everyone processes nitrogen differently. But why bother? If deep is where you want to go, helium is readily available, not too expensive, and a great alternative to nitrogen. At least in the US.

On the other hand, I was diving 160 the other day, with a pretty rich mix I had left over from some other diving. Deco was almost twice as long with the 18/50 than with the air. I guess you just have to pick your helium dives.

Frank

Ooook.

"sane deep air" for me is all those dives with an END > 100 and a PO2 <= 1.6. That is basically dives between 100fsw and 218fsw. Whether or not these dives are right for you is a matter of your own tolerance for narcosis. Human beings vary greatly in their tolerance for narcosis so there is a great deal of variance in the answer to this question. Some people will require trimix to safely dive to these depths and others don't. Cost of trimix is also a big issue. Trimix at these depths turns a $15 doubles fill into a $115 doubles fill. I've noticed that the biggest advocates of trimix use in this depth range are those who benefit financially from it.

Your "sane" deep air depths just killed a young man (diving air) off Monterey last week. There's no doubt the use of air contributed to his buddies losing him and his death.

Your "sane" deep air depths just killed a young man (diving air) off Monterey last week. There's no doubt the use of air contributed to his buddies losing him and his death.

We should post a link to the old TechDiver archives...that'd get people to think. People need to understand there is a better way to do things now days.

I use air when I spearfish a lot and don't feel like it is stupid or overly dangerous. I am talking dives up to 180ish fsw or so. I don't ever stay down longer than a few minutes at those depths. On the other hand I am not trimix cert. so I really don't have much of an option on my gas selection. I get narc'ed but not to the point it effects my diving. I like the feeling, it makes me think about the consequences of my actions at depth. I feel like it keeps me on my toes. I always try to envision what could happen and what to do in certain situations. This is just my .02 on the subject.

N/M Wrong article.

Was this the ascent from 250?

I use air when I spearfish a lot and don't feel like it is stupid or overly dangerous. I am talking dives up to 180ish fsw or so. I don't ever stay down longer than a few minutes at those depths. On the other hand I am not trimix cert. so I really don't have much of an option on my gas selection. I get narc'ed but not to the point it effects my diving. I like the feeling, it makes me think about the consequences of my actions at depth. I feel like it keeps me on my toes. I always try to envision what could happen and what to do in certain situations. This is just my .02 on the subject.
sure you do. you could get the training to do these dives safely.

Skin Diver
Trimix
Advance Trimix
Open Water
Rescue
Diver Master

Or something like that.

:D

Seriously you guys get narced easy. This is getting about as bad as a DIR versus Christians thread.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom