Deep 6 Signature Mask Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I didn't see any reviews of this mask before I purchased it as part of the black Friday deal. So I figured I would write one up.

This isn't the typical generic frameless mask that many companies sell. Which is part of the reason I bought it, I get a small amount of leakage around the nose with my DGX frameless mask, this mask appears to have a larger skirt around the nose, which I am hoping will solve it.

Initial Impressions:

The glass window is smaller, and it appears to sit slightly further from my face. This results in a slightly smaller field of view, but it is still fairly wide. The silicon appears to be softer than the DGX mask, and the nose pocket is smaller but I don't have an issue accessing my nose on the surface. The mask buckles rotate unlike the DGX mask.

Diving impressions will come, next week. I'll be taking it on a short cave dive first, with my DGX mask as my back up. Followed by three longer 90 minutes to 2 hour cave dives. If this solves my leakage issue I will buy another clear one, and one of the tinted ones.

Reserved for diving impressions.

I got one of the white ones when they came out, then immediately kicked myself in the butt for not getting more before they went up in price..it quickly became my favorite mask...as such, I picked up another when it went on sale for black friday.

I find the mask to be super comfortable...I find I have a smaller face and it fits really well.

Most of us are familiar with the Hollis M1. Here are some side by side pics.

4C4B8EEE-470E-4EDD-8B26-8B696309AB77.jpeg

now the M1 looks bigger but that’s because it is farther away and the wide angle on my camera phone. As shown in the next picture the width is the same.
46B8206F-E40D-4075-B382-83269A44B35F.jpeg

The M1 is slightly taller. The skirt of the Deep 6 feels softer so I am not sure if that cancels out that it is wider as shown below (M1 on the bottom, Deep 6 on top)
5B2D74ED-1FCC-4D73-B373-E1812D21572B.jpeg

The masks are fairly equivalent in my opinion. I’ve only put in a few dives, but my Deep 6 will be my primary mask, and M1 my backup.

I will have more details once I have a chance to mess with it more, but first dive didn't go well. Leaked much worse.

I will have more details once I have a chance to mess with it more, but first dive didn't go well. Leaked much worse.
It is all about fit. The DGX mask leaks a bit on me, but the M1/Deep 6 do not.

Mask fit / leaking is so much of a personal thing...less so about the mask, and more so about your facial structure and if you have things like face hair.

I think one of my challenges of having a dive op is having enough masks to fit pretty much everyone. Fortunately masks are not expensive. Deep 6 and DGX each will be in the mix. I'll have to look at others though for different shaped faces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom