Deep 6 Can Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean that the LED/Reflector combo leads to a poor beam? I'm looking at getting a can light to progress into more advanced cave/wreck diving and it looks like an attractive price/performance point.

The battery pack not being flyable isn't the biggest deal for now. In the future if I wanted to fly it how difficult would it be to find one that fits and is allowed?
That lamp could be OK but need very small led die . If you switch CREE XM-L2 U2 with CREE XPG-2 that would be ideal. IMO

If you compare sizes of phosphorous die https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/37/a0/6537a0bd1ab2fa96ef0be56211248153.jpg
smaller is better but you have to balance between size and light output . So-called point light source is physically ideal.

In fact reflector size of your head , should be with deep focus (that mean SMO reflector should fit one CREE XM-L2 U2 . ) like that
57.5mm(Height)x41.5mm(Diameter) Aluminum Smooth Reflector for HS 802 Cree XM L XP G XP E XP L XM L2 Emitters SMO Reflector Cup|reflector cup|reflector smoreflector aluminium - AliExpress

Hi power leds so tight together could be solved I think with only ''fast'' aspherics lenses but even in this way led die should be small . ( fast in that sentence mean short focus in size of lens radius !)

A good example is ''Northern Light '' super spot 40w LED Super Spot LH, E/O | Northern Light Scuba or other lamps of this type

The UWLD lights are nice, but dollar per dollar, you can get more burn time and similar light output with other brands. Light Monkey is also very nice, but same story.

What other light gives you as much output as a UWLD LD-40, when it's running on High at the 4 hour mark during a dive? Or even the 3 hour mark? Or even the 2 hour mark?

Or, if you prefer, what other light gives as much output when you're almost at the end of your 2nd or 3rd 1 hour dive of the day?

Beam comparison. Deep6 on high beam with mid charged battery on left. DGX 600 on the right. Lights were about 10 feet from wall.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

According to UWLD, the beam of a light will look different in air versus underwater. Comparing light beams shone through air onto a wall is not a valid way to judge how they will compare when used in water.

I don't know. I just remember reading that somewhere and it seems like it makes sense to me.

I got an HP50, then I got an EX35

Sounds like if you had just bought a (previous gen) UWLD LD-35 at the start, you would have saved money overall and STILL have a better light than the EX35. :)

I note: 2 hours into a dive, the EX35 will only be putting out about 80% of its max output and tapering down (assuming you are running it on its highest setting), where the UWLD would still be putting out 100%.

Also, I'm not sure if you had to buy a new battery canister when you went from the HP50 to the EX35. But, a nice thing with UWLD is if you had bought an LD-35 and then the new Gen 6 light, the LD-40, came out, you could upgrade just the light head to the latest/greatest, without needing to buy a new battery canister.

Sounds like if you had just bought a (previous gen) UWLD LD-35 at the start, you would have saved money overall and STILL have a better light than the EX35. :)

Considering the costs of technical diving, divers don't always have the cash to buy the best when they start out.

Without factoring in training, full cave requires easily $3-5k in equipment, and that isn't buying the best.

In the end I might end up with the best, but in the meantime I was able to get a bunch of cave diving on equipment that was good enough to start.

Considering the costs of technical diving, divers don't always have the cash to buy the best when they start out.

And even if we do have the cash it is complicated and time consuming setting up secret accounts so one's spouse doesn't realize how much we are spending. :)

According to UWLD, the beam of a light will look different in air versus underwater. Comparing light beams shone through air onto a wall is not a valid way to judge how they will compare when used in water.

I don't know. I just remember reading that somewhere and it seems like it makes sense to me.

probably true but I thought something was better than nothing

I took a chance on the D6G light based on @tbone1004 recommendation in another thread. If it doesn’t last, I will have nonetheless achieved my training objectives with it (cordless torch user up to now but want to get ready for cave training where can lights are the still the standard). If it lasts, I will have scored a great deal.

I bought one of the Deep 6 can lights in January. I took it on 9 dives(~8.5 hours of use) before it started flashing and displaying the red status led which the manual says is <10% battery. I wanted to get an idea for how many dives I could get out of one charge. This is my first canister light so I couldn't speak about how it compares to others. I didn't notice much or any differences in quality or quantity of light between dives, but that was over the space of 2 weeks. One thing I did notice is that when I plugged in my battery to charge there was a buzzing sound from the 2 prong plug for several seconds before the light on the charging brick turned red, indicating it's charging now. Anyone had any experience with this light or canister lights in general buzzing while charging?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom