Dedicated Warm Water Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cornellxc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys! First post, nice to meet you.

I recently bought a vacation place and am looking to put together a setup that I can leave on the island. I'm 100% diving in shorts and a tshirt and am looking for a bc that is minimalist, lightweight and fun to dive. I've always used friends gear in the past down there and it's time for me to have my own. Some of the bc's I'm interested in are the Litehawk, outlaw, zuma... etc.

I'm also intrigued by a bp/w (as I dive with little weight and don't need a bunch of lift) but have never used one before. They strike me as not being super comfy to dive without a shirt. I'm trusting in the the collective genius of scubaboard to show me the way! What would you get?

OxyCheq "Dogbone" (put a $20 pair of ScubaPro shoulder pads on it if you want. I don't like the fabric "soft plate" as it has too much give to it.

upload_2017-7-8_16-40-41.png

and this wing: Store - Vintage Double Hose

Get a pair of cam bands, DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle

I also added a Zeagle "Split Saddle" crotch strap, but a conventional style one is okay.... I just like the split better. Easier to adjust.

Need to add weight? Throw on a pair of XS Scuba weight pockets on the cam bands and/or the waist.

This was my Florida rig over Easter (HOG 23# wing)....

I made my own "H-Harness", but a standard hogarthian harness is always a great choice...

A complete set of BP/W for US$299.00 is available at DGX.
Add a pair of shoulder pad(DIY) if you want and if you need extra weight there is no better way than a simple weight belt.

I created a relatively cheap, light weight rig recently. I found a HOG wing (currently on sale at a few places for $150 to $170), a Mares soft backplate ($50) and some HOG weight pockets and a harness. Used some cam bands I already had. I have not tried it out yet but since it has a soft backplate, I would think it would be OK in a tee shirt.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards taking the plunge on a bp/w setup. I really like the idea of being able to customize it down the road and easily replace/fix issues when they come up. We're in the middle of nowhere down there so being self sufficient when it comes to maintenance is a big plus.

I'm just a little unclear about the comfort factor of a metal backplate when diving sans wetsuit. It's all boat diving so I'm not super concerned but most folks seem to be wearing wetsuits with a bp. Anyone have any experience? Is a softplate the way to go?

I dive BP/W without any padding in just shorts and a tee when in Indonesia. Never had an issue.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards taking the plunge on a bp/w setup. I really like the idea of being able to customize it down the road and easily replace/fix issues when they come up. We're in the middle of nowhere down there so being self sufficient when it comes to maintenance is a big plus.

I'm just a little unclear about the comfort factor of a metal backplate when diving sans wetsuit. It's all boat diving so I'm not super concerned but most folks seem to be wearing wetsuits with a bp. Anyone have any experience? Is a softplate the way to go?
Metal plate vs. soft plate. Difference is weight and tank stability. Soft plate is easier for traveling. Metal plate will keep the tank more stable. Not a big deal with aluminum tanks, but steel tanks will shift a little with a soft plate.

Comfort comes from padding. You can add padding on the plate and harness. For shore diving, padding is nice. Not that important for boat diving. Try w/o padding 1st, then decide.

I've worn my BP/W over a T-shirt without issue.

I'm either in a drysuit, or a rash guard. I've never had an issue diving in a rashie and board shorts. I only have two plates because I'm too lazy to adjust the straps. I don't even bother with shoulder pads. They don't do anything under water, and I'm not going to be trekking through the jungle in a rash guard.

Aside from a single tank configuration really being too light to justify them, even if it was annoying without padding, the walk from the bench to the side of the boat isn't long enough for me to want to mess with them.

Even shore diving it's not an issue. In fact, I'm more annoyed having to walk with a poodle jacket than I've ever been walking with a BP/W. Just my opinion though. You do you, that's what's great about this hobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom