Dedicated Pony Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorvald Natvig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for recommendations on a regulator to use on a dedicated pony bottle, for use both in warm water and moderately cold (Northern California). It will be used within recreational limits: I don't envision using it deeper than 130ft, and also don't plan to use it with more than 40% oxygen. Characteristics I'm looking for are:
  • Impeccable reputation for reliability
  • The specific model has sold well, is in active use, and has minimal negative feedback and incidents (i.e.; something that has been "field tested" by hundreds of recreational divers on thousands of dives)
  • Easy to find highly qualified repair shops around the world
  • Compact and light weight
  • Look "normal" enough that dive boats etc don't get difficult about it
  • Not Atomic (my primary is Atomic, and I'd like a separate manufacturing chain for the backup)
I've pondered the AquaLung Mikron (DIN + adapter for travel); it looks to meet the characteristics, and with a mini SPG it looks like it would be compact and easy to sling, but are there other alternatives I should consider?

For context:

Working with redundancy and resiliency as a computer scientist for too long, the thought of single-point-of-failure in the tank, valve or 1st stage worries me a bit, as does the fact that freeflow from any of the attached items cain drain the tank uncomfortably fast.

My current thinking is to get a 19-40 cu ft tank and sling it on either left or right side. I'll need to experiment a little bit to find something that's comfortable and doesn't change my buoyancy too much. The primary purpose of this pony is to give me peace of mind; knowing that the pony is there, and enough training that I have a muscle reflex to switch to it, makes it easier to keep calm and think clearly if there is an incident.

You're overthinking this. I recommend either (a) whatever is on sale and is a decent reg or (b) if you're primary is getting "long in the tooth", consider retiring it to the pony and upgrade your primary or (c) if you like your primary, buy another reg the same as that, or at least from the same company, so at service time, you can take them to the same place.

The reality is that the most use you're pony reg is ever likely to see is when you first fire it up and you take a couple of test breaths. 99.9% of the time, it'll be hanging there, doing absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
We have a stable of Aqualung Mikrons including one for pony bottle use. Small, light weight and super easy to learn DIY. If you go this route I recommend a used or discontinued model without the ACD.

Not sure its appropriateness for colder water though.

You're overthinking this. I recommend either (a) whatever is on sale and is a decent reg or (b) if you're primary is getting "long in the tooth", consider retiring it to the pony and upgrade your primary or (c) if you like your primary, buy another reg the same as that, or at least from the same company, so at service time, you can take them to the same place.

The reality is that the most use you're pony reg is ever likely to see is when you first fire it up and you take a couple of test breaths. 99.9% of the time, it'll be hanging there, doing absolutely nothing.

Pretty solid advice. If you have to pick a reg, something with an adjustable resistance. You can flip it to reduce freeflow when you jump in and open it up if you ever think about it.

You actually don't want an Atomic on a pony you shut off as the Seat Saver would allow water up the hose and into the 1st stage anytime it's not pressurized.

Zeagle makes a pony regulator based on their Envoy you might consider. It has the valve integrated into the 1st stage.

I own an Envoy (not pony version) but dive my Atomics also so I've only used it once - I carry the 1st stage in my save-a-dive when I travel.

Envoy RaZor

I believe Diverite? does also...

I don't know that it's true but someone posted recently that since Huish owns both brands now - they're making Zeagle regs at the Atomic factory...

Last edited:
Your post leaves me with more questions than answers.

Why would you fill a "piece of mind" pony bottle with up to 40% 02?

I also don't understand why you think "a dive boat would get difficult about a regulator unless it looks normal".

You don't want a regulator that is produced by the same manufacturer as your main tank because you think it's not as safe?

Your profile says you aren't even certified?

At least you don't think you'll use it at depths greater than 130 feet. That's a relief.

You don't want a regulator that is produced by the same manufacturer as your main tank because you think it's not as safe?

I assume it’s so there is some diversity, not because they don’t believe their current regs are not safe.

If there is some failure mode that impacts their current regs, then if the pony regs are the same they have a risk of exhibiting the same failure having been exposed to the same temperature and pressure profile. If the pony regs are different then that chance is theoretically reduced.

I’ve been running a scuba pro mk2 on a pony for 8 years with zero problems. Not too expensive and is simple and hardy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom